• Need to remove my name from loan with ex husband

Me and my ex-husband brought a property together and I was co applicant for that homeloan in 2015. Post 2016 things went worst and we ended up in divorce however it was made in his favour with giving my lawyer some money in 2020. I got remarried in 2021 and now when I checked my civil score the previous loan I got with ex-husband is still reflecting under my cibil even though all the emi's are paid by him. Need guidance on how can I get myself removed from this loan as applicant as this is causing me problem in my current marriage
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Bank would not remove your name as co applicant without your ex husband consent 


you are co owner of flat and equally liable to repay the home loan


you have not mention what are clauses in your divorce decree regarding joint property 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94210 Answers
7429 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can apply to bank and do it

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31572 Answers
168 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

1. In immovable property matters, mutual consent signatures of both parties will be required to remove /delete names from Loan Records .... wherein one of the party will have to file undertaking to pay any pending loans etc....

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Until and unless the home loan is fully discharged your name as a co borrower will continue to appear in the cibil records.

You can talk to your ex and get the matter sorted out through bank by arranging for another surety or borrower to get you relieved from this loan mentioning your divorce.

If the bank is not cooperating then you may have to wait until the home loan is fully repaid.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84409 Answers
2131 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is stated that all the EMIs are paid by him, if that means loan is closed, submit an application to the bank to clear your name from loan account releasing you from all liabilities enclosing decree of dissolution of marriage. Also mark a copy of application to cibil authority. If the bank did not oblige you can file a complaint in District Consumer Commission, under new Consumer Protection Act, 2019 proceedings are fast. Commission will give direction to bank and cibil. You will get compensation for mental harassment, cost of complaint and lawyer's fee. 

Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
4035 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 If your ex husband is in possession of that property for which you was also an applicant , then you can move an application before the said bank with the copy of the divorce decree and thereby request for the removal of your name . 

- Since, you are now no related to him , then the bank may correspond him before removing your name , however it is the duty of bank to inform him for the same. 

- If refused , then you can lodge compliant before the banking ombudsman. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
12923 Answers
186 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client, 

                  As per the circumstances presented by you, in order to get your name off a home loan with liability shared by both you and ex-husband, you may contact the lender of the loan and request them for a novation to erase your name from the previous homeloan agreement by giving reasons and producing documents to support your reasons to get your name off the loan. Apart from this, you may also refinance the balance loan amount, which is a home loan balance transfer.

Thanks & Regards

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
8555 Answers
105 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer