• Harassment by senior citizen father in law

My father in law who is a senior citizen threatens to file FIR for small reasons,

He starts even physical fights and then when I retaliate in self defense he threatens to file FIR with his wife as witnesses 

Are such FIR valid and can’t I retaliate with a senior citizen even for self defense
Asked 1 month ago in Criminal Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Police stations/Courts are open for all. Anyone can file FIR against anyone, it may not stand investigation or in Court that is different matter but the person against whom FIR is registered or complaint is filed will face trouble in attending Court and investigation. It is better to avoid points of friction with him, more coz he is senior citizen and father in law. He can rope in his daughter against you.

Ravi Shinde

Dear client, 

such FIRs can be considered by the police. You can retaliate if you have proof. 

Thank you. 

Anik Miu

1)Install CCTV cameras in living room of your flat

2) record father threats 

3) file NC with ;local police station against father in law abusive behaviour 

- He can lodge his compliant under the Senior citizen Act against you. 

- Hence, if there is apprehension that he may involve you in any false complaint then file a compliant as information to the police after stating that he is threatening you to involve in cases without any reason , and if he files such compliant then you will not be responsible for the same. 

Mohammed Shahzad

If your father in law is threatening to lodge police complaint, you also inform him that you too are entitled to give complaint against him for his unprovoked actions and abuses he is unleashing against you.

You record the incidences in future and inform him that you have evidences for all his acts of cruelties and abuses by which he may dare not to misbehave with you. 

If he is going beyond intolerable  conditions, you may even give a complaint to local police  or issue a legal notice to him mentioning all his acts of cruelties to refrain from indulging in such activities in future. 

Is he living with you? He can file a ln fir nbut you can also file a complaint against him for domestic violence.

Rahul Mishra

You can retailite and file counter FIR against him