• Marriage Certificate


I am an Indian citizen. I married a foreigner while visiting USA. We have a marriage certificate issued by Clark county, Nevada, USA. Can we use that certificate to apply for Indian spousal visa?

Thanks in advance
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Has the marriage certificate been apostilled? If and only if the certificate has been apostilled then you can apply a spousal visa. The Indian Consulate in US is infamous for giving a harrowing experience to the Indian spousal visa applicants.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you can register your marriage with the Indian embassy under foreign marriages act 

2) then apply for Indian spousal visa 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44302 Answers
2572 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can use this certificate for applying Indian visa.

Your marriage is also valid in India.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4794 Answers
219 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Whether you have already applied for tourist visa and is she staying in India on Tourist vise?, if so, you can convert the tourist visa to X visa by following certain procedural formalities meant for this purpose. 
you'll need to apply at your local FRRO/FRO, which in accordance with Section 1, Note 2 of this document, must make a recommendation and forward it to the MHA in Delhi for approval if the matter is outside its delegated powers. This notice states that all applications must be made through a FRRO or FRO.  If you have any queries, contact the Visa Support Center in Delhi on 011-22560198, 011-22560199 or email at visasupport@nic.in

Two main documents are needed for Tourist to X Visa conversions: 1) Submission of a copy of registered Marriage Certificate. 2) Report from the relevant local police station about marital status, including observations, confirmation of living together, and security clearance. The only place in India that has the authority to authorize this is the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi.
You'll need to go to the Foreigner's Division, which specifically deals with visa issues, and have an interview there.

Here is the address: Ministry of Home Affairs, Foreigner's Division, Jaisalmer House, 26 Mansingh Rd, New Delhi.

There are two ways of scheduling your interview.

Appointments can be made online, up to 30 days in advance, using the Online VISA Appointment Scheduling System, or
Simply turn up and take a place in the line.
If you use the appointment scheduling system, be sure to print all documents including application form and appointment slip.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34455 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer