• Client is not paying me for my services

I am A wedding photographer , i gave my service's to a client and he payed me half in cash and half in cheque , he got all his work from me in a hard drive and the cheque was stopped by him and he has not yet payed me and even does not take my calls now and is not even returning my hard drive where i have all backup of my work from other clients too. I need help 
Its been 4 months now and don't have a way to come out . plz help
Amount(25000) is not big but its my hard earned money can't let it go.
Asked 2 years ago in Business Law from Noida, Uttar Pradesh
1) file complaint of cheating against the client under section 420 of IPc before local police station 

2) if cheque has bounced issue legal notice for dishonour of cheque and file cheque bouncing case under section 138 NI 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44306 Answers
2572 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You must have issued him the receipt for the amount for which the services were rendered to him. On the basis of this documentary proof you can launch his prosecution for cheque bounce in the court. Prior to filing the case it is mandatory to issue a legal notice to him.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Send a legal notice to him and demand your money and if he will not pay your amount then file a criminal complaint against him before magistrate court u/s 138 of N.I. Act.
you may also file a civil suit for recovery of money before civil court.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4794 Answers
219 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You have to issue a legal notice notifying him about the cheque bounce and he consequences for not honoring the cheque.  If he is still dodging the payment, you may file a money recovery cse besides a cheque bounce case and if need be you may lodge a complaint with the police for cheating offence. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34455 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer