• Is ours a Hindu joint family?

My father started a proprietorship firm with his own efforts,without any inherited property from 1972 to 1982,in 1992 my father with the intention to expand the business he added myself and my elder brother as a working partners without any capital,he divided the profits in the ratio 40%:30%:30% respectively.we filed individual income tax files since we entered in to the partnership.In 1993 my father and elder brother were released from the firm by signing a dissolution of partnership and I also settled the amounts as per the balance sheet and now I became the individual proprietor of the same firm,my elder brother separately started his own business in name of his own proprietorship firm.All of a sudden after 22 years after my fathers death in 2013 my brother claims my property and property in the name of my wife along with my fathers property.He has lodged a partition suit in the court according to hindu joint family demanding 1/3rd share which I have earned with my own efforts. please tell weather ours is hindu joint family,and further what action should I take?
As I am looking for a good lawyer who can provide us a permanent solution as soon as possible.
Asked 1 year ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Hi, what you earned from the businesses it will not constitute as a joint family property and it is your self acquired property so your brother has no right to claim the property.

2. Your father and your brother has retired from the partnership while executing deed of retirement so now he can't claim the property.

3.Contest the case through Advocate you have good case on merits.
You should first file a caveat petition before the court in order to not to get an exparte injunction order against you. 
Then challenge his claim for partition etc.
The property is not a Hindu joint family property and does not come under such clauses based on your contention.
Your brother cannot claim any share in your self acquired property though he may claim a share in your father's property as a legal heir. 
You have to consult a good lawyer and explore the possibilities to settle the issues amicably and if not possible can challenge the case in the court if he files one. 
1) your brother has no share in profits earned by you on your own accord 

2) partnership has been dissolved and deed of dissolution made and accounts duly settled . 

3) rely upon dissolution of partnership and other documents in your favour in your defence 

4) contact a local lawyer in this regard 
1) court wont dismiss case at this stage . 

2) court may not grant stay order if you produce dissolution of partnership deed and settlement of accounts statement 

3) suit would take some years to be disposed of 

1. Consequent on the release of your father and elder brother you became the sole proprietor of the firm. The joint character cannot be assigned to the property. 

2. If your brother has filed for partition then he would also seek an injunction against you. You should engage a lawyer to enter defence to rebut the claim of your brother.

3. The procedure to have the case dismissed is to show lack of legal merit in the claim of your brother.
1.Hope you have sufficient documents evidencing that the partnership firm was dissolved by paying the share of the partners being your father and brother,

2. If that is so, then the said firm is a proprietorship firm standing in your name,

3. You shall have to contest that the said Firm was not part of any joint Hindu Familly Business run by your family.
1. You can not dismiss the case filed against you,

2. You shall have to submit your written reply to the said partition suit filed by your brother and the Judge  will either dismiss the case or allow partition,

3.Engage a lawyer having expertise in this field to contest the case fittingly.