• Ex-girlfriend set up an Instagram account to defame me

I have separated from my ex- girlfriend in November 2019 , after that she started demanding me a sum of $3300 for break up which I refused to pay . I blocked her all contacts, she called me from 17 phone numbers and had 6 instagram accounts and I blocked them all. Now two days back she has created an account putting my picture in it without my permission and also contacting all my contacts in instagram and saying nasty things about me. I reported her profile but instagram is not taking it down. What shall I do?
She is an indonesian national living in Jakarta.
Asked 9 days ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

You can file a complaint with cyber cell under information technology Act. 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
22417 Answers
49 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can issue her legal notice to with draw false and defamatory statements made against you and tender an unconditional apology 


2) if she refuses file case of criminal defamation against her 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
79294 Answers
4742 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Talk to her give her last warning then file report in police station with all evidence.

Sanjna Vaishnav
Advocate, Gandhinagar
39 Answers

Not rated

You must complaint to the cyber crime cell of police 

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1341 Answers
5 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. Apprehensively the Girl is a racketeer and out to swindle you.  In such cases the worst that could happen is Girl could file a false Rape /Molestation case which would create untold problems for your future life & career.

2. You are advised to ignore all whatever she is doing and ultimately the Girl would look for somebody else to carry on her swindling activities. 

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5441 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give a complaint to the cyber crime police about this criminal activity by her against you.

No doubt she is not bound by our country law hence the police  would not be able to take any effective action on your complaint.

However you can ask the police to notify her about your complaint with your cooperation to spend money for the overseas call.

This step may bring some changes.

If this also do not fetch you any relief, you may approach the police of her country by sending a complaint against her for the reported crimes with a request to take proper legal action against her.

But you may have to provide proper documentary evidences against her for proving the reported crimes allegedly done by her against you attached to  your complaint 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
69328 Answers
929 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

please spread the news of fake instagram account by your name, and request your friends and relatives to report the account. 

Instagram won't do it untill they get sufficient amount of report complaints.

You can file FIR as well, as she is doing is extortion in Indian criminal law.

Sanjeev Gupta
Advocate, East Delhi
88 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

You may file complaint before Cyber Cell. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
18935 Answers
11 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Kindly register a criminal complaint against her with the cyber cell of your state. If no action is taken by them, you can also approach a court of competent jurisdiction for taking appropriate action against your girlfriend. 

Sumit Rana
Advocate, New Delhi
16 Answers

Not rated

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer