Indian citizenship after marrying a foreigner
If an Indian marries foreigner, what will be the impact on the citizenship of that person?
Either party have to change their nationality or both can continue to be nationals of their countries?
I have read the Special Marriages Act and also Citizenship Act but do find answer for this.
Asked 2 years ago in Constitutional Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
1) Indian national does not lose his citizenship merely because he has married a foreigner
2) similarly foreigner does not lose her citizenship because she has married an Indian national
3) foreigner after marrying Indian citizenship can apply for Indian citizenship provided she has stayed in India continously for period of 1 year
4) there is proposal to amend the rules so that foreigner can make trips abroad during period of 1 year provided that total absence is for not more than 30 days
I hope it is same for girls? I mean if an Indian girl marries foreign national, she does not lose her Indian citizenship as well?
Asked 2 years ago
Yes the same rule is applicable
1. Marriage of an Indian citizen to a foreign citizen does not have any bearing on the citizenship status of the Indian citizen.
2. Whether the foreign citizen will continue to be a citizen of her nation after her marriage to an Indian citizen depends on the citizenship law prevailing in his/her country.
3. The Indian law is the same for male and female.