• Flat to sell

Flat was purchased jointly by our parents. Sadly our father passed away. My brother and I are the following legal heirs of our deceased father. Can Society transfer full ownership to our mother if we brothers give NOC to society for transfer of flat and can our mother then sell the said flat?
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Kharghar, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
The share certificate can be transferred to your mother if both of you execute a deed of relinquishment in her favour. Thereafter, she will be at liberty to sell the flat and pocket the sale proceeds in entirety. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Yes, with your NOC there society can transfer the flat in your mother's name.

2) As your mother is 50% owner+1/3rd of the other 50% for making a sale of the flat by mother you have to sign as conforming parties. You too have acquired a share (1/3) in the 50% as your father passed away without a will.

3) Alternately by a registered family settlement deed you can relinquish your right in favour of mother and she can make a sale.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2240 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) society can transfer flat in favour of your mother on receipt of NOC from brothers 

2) it is better brothers execute gift deed or relinquishment deed in favour of mother so that she becomes absolute owner of flat  and can sell the same 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45424 Answers
2668 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Mere NOC is not enough as with the death of your father both of you have become its undivided 1/6th share holder.
The brother will have to execute a deed of gift or relinquishment to make mother the absolute owner of the flat.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12802 Answers
165 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should understand one thing that transferring the  shares of the flat by the  society to your mother is different from the title of the property being transferred n her name fully through registered deed.
Society can transfer the entire shares  of the property on her name by obtaining NOC from all the legal heirs of the deceased who owned the property jointly with your mother.
For transferring the property on your mother's name by a registered deed, both the legal heirs should execute a registered release deed relinquishing your rights in the property that belonged to your deceased father in your mother's favor upon which she will become  the absolute owner of the property. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35588 Answers
385 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer