• Transfer of property

My both parents have passed away, my property is in my mother's name, want to transfer it on my name. I am only child, no brother or sister. What is procedure and estimated cost included in transfer of property on my name.
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Christian

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers

On death of your parents you being their sole legal heir inherit the property automatically on their death by law of Succession. 

Now on the basis of their death certificate and self declaration on affidavit about your sole heirship you can apply for Mutation in local Municipality which would complete the inheritance. 

No need for transfer of property. 

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Did your mother leave any will or nomination form 


is it a flat in housing society kindly clarify 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89092 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Apply for legal heir certificate at tehsildaar office. Than submit application in BMC to transfer property in your name in municipal record. Copy of death certificate and LHC will enclosed.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Apply for the required transfers along with the death Certificates of your parents. It is normal procedure 

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You need to apply for mutation application (you can fill be online or offline) in the respective municipal body. For filing the same you shall need a copy of sale deed or title deed, copy of your aadhar card, receipts of property tax and a copy of death certificate of the owner. There shall also be a fee, which differs with the state.


Vivek Tanwar
Advocate, Gurgaon
6 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

  1. Is there a Will? If there is, you have to get it probated. If not,  you have to petition the district court for Succession Certificate. 
  2. I'm willing to handle your matter. You must visit me for further legal assistance. I'm based in Mumbai /NaviMumbai, hence it shouldn't be much difficult for you to visit me. 

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1433 Answers
5 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can execute gift deed to transfer from her to you

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28106 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

If the property is on your decesed mother's name, then you may first obtain a legal heirship certificate with the full list of the legal heirs of your decesed mother from the revenue department.

After that along with the copy of the death certificate and this legal heirship certificate, you may submit an application to the revenue department seeking to transfer the revenue records of the property from your mother's name to your name.

There is no much cost involved in it except for the nominal fee that may have to be paid to the revenue department for obtaining the legal heirship certificate.



T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79250 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Obtain a letter of administration from the Court

Court will appoint an administrator 

He will then register transfer deed in your favour 

Stamp duty is minimal

Court fee is upto 75k depending on value of the property 

Lawyers professional fees and ckerkage will be extra

The registered transfer deed can then be submitted to society and it will mutate your name in share certificate and society records

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
6999 Answers
79 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to obtain a legal heir certificate and transfer the property. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19032 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You need to obtain legal heir certificate of your parents and then apply for mutation of property on your name.

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10687 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are suggested to approach the concerned revenue authorities for transfer of the said property on your name. 

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

- After the death of your mother , her property would be devolved upon you only , being the single legal heir. 

- You should apply before the revenue office for getting mutation of the property in your name . 

- There may be requirement for getting legal heir certificate from the office of the Tehsildar., which you can easily get after submitting your residential and other proofs with the death certificate of your parents. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10324 Answers
124 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer