My father wants to Lodge a case regarding dowry demand of the groom. They had asked for 2 lakhs & the groom made me pay a lot of his expenses like his income tax, expensive gifts from Amazon for him and his mother and for our honeymoon vacation . My father also spent 15 lacs on engagement and wedding but still the groom's side is not satisfied and still demanded my salary to cover all there expenses. My father is a heart patient and is not able to meet there Continuous demands. These are our main allegations for dowry case. Can this somehow backfire on my father and whether he will be punishable by law??
First answer received in 30 minutes.
Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.
You can file case of dowry harassment against your husband and in laws
2) in complaint mention of demands made for dowry and enclose evidence in your possession
3) The Delhi High Court has quashed an FIR against a woman on a complaint by her husband under the Dowry Prohibition Act 1961 for giving dowry. It said the woman cannot be booked on the basis of the charges she has levelled against her husband and his family members of harassing her parents for dowry.
Section 7 (3) of the Act actually provides for the protection to the aggrieved by the offence.
Admitting the argument of the woman, Justice Ajit Bharihoke said: “No doubt, as per Section 3 of the Dowry Prohibition Act, giving or abetting to give dowry is a punishable offence, but the petitioner (woman) does have protection of Section 7(3) of the Act. Section 7(3) provides that notwithstanding anything contained in any law for the time being in force, a statement made by the person aggrieved by the offence under the Act shall not subject her to prosecution under this Act.”
These are the contents of your complaint.
You can proceed with your complaint if you are unable to tolerate the situation.
Why do you think that it will backfire?
There is no question of any backfire especially on the complaints made in this regard.
You can collect documentary evidences to all your allegations and prosecute the case properly.
1. You first led the way by spending 15L in the marriage engagement alone and now is deciding to file case of dowry harassment.
2. If you want to file dowry demand case now then you should have neither spent such huge expenses during the marriage engagement nor fulfilled wish to groom side during that time.
3. Now it is too late and hence it is advisable either to proceed with the marriage or call off the same. Filing of case would only tarnish your image for good..
If the story is true then it will not backfire
If these demands have been made and you have proof of these demands then go ahead. You have a strong case. It cannot backfire.
1. your father should keep a record of the amount explained to be given as dowry,
2. if he is able to prove the source of the amount, nothing to worry
1. Gifts do not come within the purview of dowry.
2. 498A IPC is not only about dowry. It makes the husband and any of his family members liable to criminal prosecution for an act of cruelty against wife.
3. The demands made by your in-laws bring the case within the ambit of 498A. It cannot backfire.
what exactly you are looking for in case you are looking for legal action in case of dowry demand and there is no other dispute in the matrimonial relationship this might create at Ammonia dispute as well it will not be good to go for any legal action in this regard rather to settle down the matter amicably between the two families then maybe Advisors on this forum that you can take this action and that action but this kind of actions are only advisable when there is a matrimonial dispute as well in case you are not able to afford some of the demands definitely refuse the demand in cardial way that you don't have any fund to meet out these demands.
You can file case of dowry and domestic violence harassment against your husband.
1. Giving of dowry may backfire upon you under prohibition of dowry act.
2. The punishment could be imprisonment for minimum 5 years and a fine more than ₹15,000 or the value of the dowry received, whichever is higher. Dowry in the Act is defined as any property or valuable security given or agreed to be given in connection with the marriage.
You have enough proof of expenses incurred on them. No future of this Marriage. Without fail file FIR. Draft FIR carefully.
Clear case of cheating and dowry demand made out.
- As per law, If someone is demanding for dowry either directly or indirectly then he will be liable for imprisonment from 6 months to 2 years, and a fine up to the amount of 10,000.
- Under the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 , asking of dowry is a crime even before the marriage.
- Hence, for the continuous demand of groom side, you can lodge your complaint with the police , after stating all the facts , and further mention that , they may be try to tarnish your image .
- No, this will not backfire on your father as per law, but your engagement for marriage may be cancelled by the groom side.
1. See.you and your family of victims of dowry harassment it cannot backfire against you , with all evidence a dowry case can be filed and they can face trial and be punished as per merits of the case.