• Intentional nuisance of DTDC courier services

Dear Sir/ Madam,
I (Dipak Sharma) here by request to kindly check out the following matter and send your important reply and suggestions:
1. On date 23.05.2015, I booked a courier from Shyamnagar (24 pgs, North of West Bengal) destination to Mr. Ashis Kr Gaur of Delhi - 110093.
2. The courier envelope had a self (by me) written notice to the said person for refunding Rs. 6,28,000/-, which he extracted from me fraudulently.
3. According to the DTDC tracking system on its website the booked consignment was delivered to the person on 26.05.2015. But, the same consignment came back to me in unopened condition on 31.05.2015 but the consignment no. was overwritten by "L" in place of "K" as it was during booking by me (K76453910) returned with over writing "L76453910" with the reason "PSF" that means "party has been shifted" from the mentioned address, where the consignment was supposed to be delivered. Here, i got that this is an intentional evil activity of DTDC courier service branch of Delhi, Durgapuri that ruined my attempt to get that person.
4. So, in order to confirm whether the party has really shifted from the address, i again dropped a speed post containing white page to the same address, mentioning the envelop from LENDIA TOODAY of KARNATAKA-6 (a false address, just to confirm the availability of the person).
5. and the article of the speed post was successfully delivered to the said person, which clearly proves that the returning of my DTDC consignment was intentional activity of the delivering branch.

Now, in this case, i would like to know that how can i deal with or claim the penalty with DTDC courier service? If i am eligible to claim compensation/ penalty from DTDC, then what could be the maximum amount for it? and where should i put this case, to the Judicial court of my district or to the court of consumer affairs?
Asked 3 years ago in Civil Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
1) you can file complaint before consumer forum against courier  company for deficiency in service 

2) you will have to prove negligence on part of the courier company that parcel was deliberately returned to you 

3) complaints before consumer forum take 2 years to be disposed of and you have to incur legal expenses if you engage a lawyer 

4) consumer forum would at most award nominal compensation to you 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45435 Answers
2669 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you have to file a complaint against DTDC for deficiency of Services before the District Consumer Forum as they have failed and neglected to deliver the articles.

2. You can also sought for compensation and also damages in the District Court.

3. Before filling a complaint you have to issue legal notice and it is better contact local advocate.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. You cannot blame DTDC for this. It is a normal practice employed by people to inform in person or through someone else that the addressee has shifted from the address mentioned on the courier, in which event the courier company would remark PSF.

2. The fact that another courier to the same address got delivered does not show that DTDC was at fault on the earlier occasion.

3. You are not eligible to any compensation.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The proof what you possess is strong enough to establish the fraud played by the courier service, especially the alterations made in the reference and the remarks and reasons for return.  
The subsequent speed post sent by you with fake address may not support you because you have the faked address will not be authentic from your side.
You can approach consumer forum for deficiency of service claiming compensations for the  loss you suffered due to their irresponsible and intentional fraudulent action and also for mental agony that caused you due to this.  The amount will depend on what you want to claim.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35601 Answers
385 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Approach Consumer forum against DTDC for deficiency of service on the part of DTDC. It must be proved that there was negligence on the part of DTDC and hence the parcel was returned to you. However it is advisable to first issue a legal notice to DTDC and then proceed with the consumer case. 

Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
866 Answers
64 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. File a complaint case before the ocal District Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum alleging deficiency in srvice and unfair business practice claiming damage and cost from the courier,

2.Cases fied efore Consumer Fora are disposed of much faster than regular civil courts,

3. However lease note that srvice throgh private courier is not always aceptable by courts for which service by speed post is suggested,

4. You can send him the notice again through speedpost and if he efuses to accept the same then you shall have to publish the said notice in newspapers which will be reated as good service.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18430 Answers
447 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer