No. 1/9/69-Estt. (SCT)
Government of India
Ministry of Home Affairs
Dated 26th March, 1970
Subject :- Concessions to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in posts filled by promotion – Class I Services / posts.
The question of increasing the representation of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes employees in
Class I Services/posts under the Government of India has been under the consideration for some time past. In this Ministry’s O.M. No.1/12/67-Estt. (C), dated 11th July, 1968, certain concession have been provided to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, inter alia, in the matter of promotion by selection to the lowest rung or Category in Class I. It has now been decided that the following concessions and facilities will be provided to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes officers for their promotions within Class I also.
2. In promotions by selection to posts within Class I, which carry an ultimate salary of Rs. 2,000 per month, or less the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes officers, who are senior enough in the zone of consideration for promotion so as to be within the number of vacancies for which the Select list has to be drawn up, would be included in that list provided they are not considered unfit for promotion: Their position in the Select list would, however, be the same as assigned to them by the Departmental Promotion Committee on the basis of their record or service: They would not be given, for this purpose, one grading higher than the grading otherwise assignable to them on the basis of their record of service.
3. In order to improve the chances of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes officers for selection to the higher categories of posts in Class I, it has further been decided that:
(i) Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes officers in Class I Services/posts should be provided with more opportunities for institutional training and for attending seminars/Symposia/conferences. Advantage
could in this connection be taken of the training facilities available at the National Academy of Administration Mussoorie, National Police Academy, Mount Abu, Indian Institute of Public
Administration, New Delhi, the Administrative Staff College, Hyderabad, etc.; and
(ii) It should be the special responsibility of the immediate superior officers of the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes officers in Class I to give advice and guidance to the latter to improve the quality of their work.
Ministries/Departments under whom Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes Class I officers might be serving should ensure that these decisions are implemented with expedition, Ministries/Departments (or the Heads of Departments) under whom such officers might be serving may specially watch the progress of these officers so that all appropriate steps are taken, wherever necessary, to improve the efficiency of these officers for the purpose of their selection to higher posts.
4. The orders contained in paragraph 2 above take effect from the date of issue except in respect of selections already made prior to the issue of these orders.
5. Ministry of Finance etc., are requested to bring the above decisions to the notice of all concerned.
6. In so far as persons serving in offices under the Comptroller and Auditor General of India are concerned, separate orders will issue in due course.