• Purchase of farm land in Karnataka


I'm a software engineer who is interested in Farming and would like to pursue a career in it. However, I don't own any agriculture land. But, my grandfather (father's father) was a farmer and owned agriculture land. Due to some family issues, after my grandfather's death, my father gave away the agriculture land to his elder brother. So, my father does not own any agriculture land now.
My question is, will I be able to purchase agriculture land and will I be entitled to apply for loan to purchase the land?
Would like your valuable inputs to decide on my career.

Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1) you cannot purchase agricultural land in karnataka 

2) the following are requirements for purchase of agricultural land 
The annual average income of the person including agricultural income should be less than Rs 2 lakhs. The person must have had an agricultural land in his name before the year 1974. The person should be an agriculturist or an agricultural worker by profession

3) section 79 A prohibits purchase of agricultural land by any person or family who have  annual income of more than Rs 2 lakhs from non agricultural sources 

4) your land would be confiscated by the govt in case you purchase agricultural land
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46856 Answers
2772 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, as per Karnataka land Reforms Act, Non-Agriculturist can't buy agricultural land whose income more than 2 lacks per year.

2.So you can't purchase the land as it is barred under Karnataka Land Reforms Act.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. To purchase agricultural land you must already own agricultural land and your family income should be less than Rs 2 lakh per annum. Otherwise you cannot purchase agricultural lands in Karnataka except if you procure special permission from the Tahsildhar to become an agriculturist, provided your income is less than Rs 2 lakh per annum. 

2. Alternatively, you can purchase it after conversion. You have to apply for conversion to the Deputy commissioner with all relevant documents listed in the application form.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23173 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Agricultural land can be bought in Karnataka after fulfilling certain requirements.

These include:
As per Section 79A of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act 1961, the non-agricultural income of a purchaser who must be an agriculturist should not exceed Rs 2 lakhs per year. Sale of land granted to members of scheduled caste and tribe is not allowed. Also, sale of land granted by the government is not allowed for a period of 15 years. Agricultural land can be used only for agricultural purposes and no other purposes. Utilising agricultural land for any other purpose is prohibited by law. Agricultural land, which does not come under the Green Belt, can be converted for non-agricultural purposes like residential, commercial, industrial etc, subject to the approval of the Special Deputy Commissioner on payment of the prescribed fees and subject to certain conditions.

To purchase agricultural lands, these documents need to be produced:

Form No 1

Vendor's Pani, mutation Purchaser's pani

Survey map of the land to be sold, certified by the Survey Department. Survey number means a portion of land, the area and assessment of which are separately entered under an indicative number in land records. Sub-division of survey number means a portion of survey number, the area and assessment of which are separately entered in land records under an indicative number subordinate to the survey number, of which it is a portion. This is also called 'hissa number'. Survey mark means any mark or object employed to indicate the boundaries of the property


No objection certificate from the Tahsildar

Government permission in specified cases (like purchase of agricultural lands by people other than agriculturists and agricultural workers)

J Form

RTC, i.e., record of right, tenancy and inspection of crops. This is a primary record issued by the village accountant. It contains the details of survey number, total extent of the land, names of the owners and their extent of holding, persons in possession, details of crops grown, and land revenue for any particular period. It also contains the details of conversion of land from agricultural to non-agriculturalal

Mutation extract:

This is an extract from the mutation register maintained by the village accountant. It records the transfer of land and the mode of such transfer, recommendations of the enquiry officer for such transfer, and date of entry of transfer in the record of rights


This document is issued by the Survey Department. A tippani shows a sketch of the land as in the records of the Survey Department.


This document is also issued by the Survey Department. It establishes the survey number and to whom the particular survey number was originally allotted and the land revenue assessment details.

Section 79 A&B endorsements:

These are issued by the Tahsildar. These endorsements certify that there are no cases against the person owning the agricultural land, and whether he is an agriculturist or not, conforming to the prescriptions of Section 79 A&B of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act 1961 (since only agriculturists and agricultural workers whose average annual income is less than Rs 2 lakhs are entitled to own agricultural lands in Karnataka)

Patta Book:

This is a record given to a holder of agricultural land and includes tenants if he is primarily liable to pay land revenue. It contains a copy of the record of rights to the land. The book also contains information regarding the payment of land revenue and other government dues, and information of cultivation.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37030 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer