• Case against caste discrimination


Can I file a case against a family who discriminate me on the basis of caste? If yes, please let me know what exactly is to be done in such case
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
Hi, as per law no body will discriminate with caste, race or religion and it is better you can lodge police complaint against them. 
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

What is the nature of discrimination meted out to you?
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23176 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) please furnish complete details 

2) how have you been discriminated against ?

3) do you belong to scheduled caste ? 

4)under Scheduled Castes and the  Scheduled Tribes (Preventionof Atrocities) Act  Any person who is not a member of a scheduled caste or a scheduled  tribe and commits an offence listedin the Act against a member of a  scheduled caste or a scheduled tribes an offender.

5) All offences listed in theAct are cognizable. The  police can arrest the  offender without warrant
and start investigation into the case without  taking any orders from the court

6)The Act prescribes both minimum as well  as maximum punishment. The minimumin most cases is six months imprisonment while the maximum is five years sentence and with fine. In some cases the minimum
is enhanced to one year while the  maximum goes up to life imprisonment  or even death sentence
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46889 Answers
2772 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no case maintainable against your own family on the basis of caste discrimination because they too belong to the same caste hence no offence in that respect is tenable. 
Try to find out some other grounds namely assault, violence, insult, defamation etc. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37081 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please furnish some details. On this information no proper advice can be given.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13184 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can file complaint in the jurisdictional police station.
Sandeep Hegde
Advocate, Bangalore
403 Answers
117 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer