• Withdrawal of legal rights of adult criminal son by father

my son aged 26 has become alcoholic. 
He was doing B. Tech in computers and left the classes in between. 
He abuses the people and quarrels with many of them almost every 3rd day.
He does not have good character. He had also cut his hand veins two times. Many times he had been driving car in drunken state having risk of hitting some. 
He also steals money from home, remains out of home for one or tow days and again returns home in drunken state.  .

I want to have some legal remedy so that no responsibility comes to my head due to either his misconduct or any dispute with anyone. 

I am a govt officer.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from New Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Hindu
Any law cannot discard the natural relationship between you both.  However to be on the safer side, you may communicate through new paper media that you have severed all your relationship with him due to his said notorious behavior and acts and you cannot be held responsible for any consequences that may arise out of his notorious behavior.For proper wordings and to draft other legal issues in it you may take the help of a local lawyer.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36925 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your son is a major. No liability can be attached to you for any violation of law committed by him. Even if he commits a murder he alone will face the legal consequences.

2. He has no legal right against you which you can abrogate.

3. The maximum you may do is make a will to disqualify him from inheriting your property.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) your son is an adult and responsible for his actions 

2) you should refuse to permit your son to drive car owned by you 

3) you can also move court and obtain an injunction restraining your son from entering the house owned by you 

4) you can also execute  a will wherein you disinherit him on account of his bad character 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46766 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you may published the same declaration in two news paper and also file a civil suit for declaration and disowned him, if there is any dispute or wrong happen by him then you will be not responsible 

you may contact over the phone or meet me personally after pay the consultation fee which is very nominal. 
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You cannot be held responsible for the criminal actions committed by your son until and unless you being aware of the same, did not stop him rather helped him to do wrong. that would make you an accomplice and the responsibility can be fastened on you. hence it is advisable to make a Will disinherting your son mentioning the reason for his dis-inheriteance.
Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
885 Answers
64 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer