Mental harassment by in-laws
I Have been married for 20 yrs. All this time I have been trying to adjust with my widowed mother- in- law & sis-in-law.....initially I thought they were over possessive about their son.My husband is an army offr. & ours was a love marriage. I am from u.p. married to a punjabi.Initially both of them used to throw me out of my own house for no reason& my husband just kept quiet & used to take me to my place.This went on for few months.I thought they needed time to accept me in their family.During those days my husband used to beat me . I could never understand why,but very soon he would ask for forgiveness & I would forget it all.Later when my son was to be born all this ceased from my husband's side though my mother-in-laws attitude was just the same....she would call me names,say that she will ensure that the marriage doesn't work , tell lies .Whenever she came to me or my husband forced me to go to her, she made my life hell.Though she very cleverly used to show her good side in front of my husband.I used to tell few things about them to him but he either choose to ignore it or perhaps didn't believe me.This went on till now when my husband has been posted closer home & I have seen a side of him I didn't know existed. Now my mother-in-law openly insults me & my husband keeps quiet.On asking him ,he says I do not have the guts to say anything to her.My mother & brother who were unaware of all this went to visit her after 16 yrs. & she insulted them in front of my husband & he just ignored it all. I keep quiet 'coz she is an old lady & my husband's mother but no one is bothered about my feelings.Now I want to show them my guts.Please advice how I can come out of this grid & be free from all this mental tention.At this stage I am willing to do a police case against all of them .THANK YOU.
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Chandigarh, Chandigarh
1)file case of DV against your mother in law , your sister in law and your husband . in said complaint seek maintenance , right to stay in shared household and compensation for physical and mental torture you have undergone .
2) next time your husband assaults you physically lodge police complaint against him .
3) you can also file for divorce if you so desire
1. You can file a case for domestic violence against your mother-in-law and seek protection, residence and maintenance and compensation for the physical and/or mental torture that you have endured at her hands. She can also be prosecuted under criminal law.
2. As your husband does not now harass you mentally or physically no case is made up against him, albeit you have the right to apply for divorce as he does not stand up for you when you are subjected to abuse by your mother-in-law.
1)in your query you have mentioned that your husband used to physically assault you . hence advised you to file complaint against your husband too under DV Act .
2) your best option would be for divorce by mutual consent if your husband is agreeable to give you divorce . in the alternative file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty
3) you can contact Mr Davesar as he is practicing Advocate in Chandigarh only
file case of DV against your mother in law , your sister in law and your husband also lodge police complaint against your husband and you can also file for divorce i
Advocate, New Delhi