• Discrepancies in mother's name

Hello Sir/Ma'am,

My mother's name is Smritilekha Das. When I was in class 9, I made an error in my CBSE registration process and wrote her name as Smriti Das. As a result, my 10th marksheet has my mother's name as Smriti Das. By default, so does my 12th marksheet and others. Unfortunately, this went unnoticed until my graduation. Now, all my educational certificates have her name partially wrong. The problem is, only my birth certificate has her correct name i.e. Smritilekha Das. I tried to fix it but CBSE has a 5-year window to fix errors and I lost my chance by the time I graduated (+2 then +3 years).
In short, except for my birth certificate, all other documents have her name partly wrong and I ran out of time to apply for changes at CBSE.
Now that I am applying for competitive exams, I was wondering if I could use an affidavit "one and same person" stating the discrepancies and that it was a big error on my part. Will it be acceptable? While form fill-up for such exams should I write her name as Smriti Das or Smritilekha Das? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Asked 2 months ago in Civil Law from Guwahati, Assam

The affidavit can be used it will acceptable. 

Fill form as per documents name Smriti Das,

In my advise you should file a petition before high court for direction for CBSE to correct the name first file an application with CBSE to correct the name even if window of correction is not there in case they reject file writ before the high court to correct name in CBSE and graduation mark sheet.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
15304 Answers
63 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Name changes in 10th/12th makes sheet can be made only through a court order where you have to lead evidence why you want changes. After courts order the university/ board will issue revised certificate.. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
7067 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You can execute a affidavit and also do news paper publication for the correct name. That's enough in your case.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
8291 Answers
11 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

In your exams you should fill in name as mentioned in your educational certificate 


2) you can execute affidavit that both are one and same person 


3) in alternative file writ in HC to direct CBSE to rectify mistake of name in your certificates 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
61305 Answers
3721 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Now first you take government gazette that your mother's name is one and pronoun like which is written in the way "Smritilekha Das" & "Smriti Das" are one and the same there is no difference get this affidavit prepare.


2) Continue with your same name through out all documents so it will be same i.e "Smriti Das"

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
6426 Answers
47 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Make affidavit stating all discrepancies of your mother's name in your mark sheets and other documents with reference to your mother's name in your birth certificate and a declaration that both are one and same person. Also give a paper publication and keep one paper cutting of the same.

Use the correct name of your mother every where in future. Attach a copy of the affidavit and paper notification if requires.  

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
247 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Birth Certificate is now of no use if you are serious in the matter then obtain a court order and then approach the concern board for the correction otherwise whenever require Write the name as given in the certificates.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
1331 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Changes and Corrections in Name

(i) Correction in name means correction in spelling errors, factual errors, typographical errors in candidate's Name/Surname, Father's Name/Mother's Name to make it consistent with what is given in the school record.

Change in name also includes alteration, addition, deletion to make it different from the school records.

(ii) Application for correction in name may be considered any time provided that the application of the candidate is forwarded with the following documents:

(a) Admission form(s) filled in by the parents at the time of admission.

(b) The School Leaving Certificate of the previous school submitted by the parents of the candidate at the time of admission.

(c) Portion of the page of admission and withdrawal register of the school where the entry has been made in respect of the candidate.

(iii) The Board may effect necessary corrections after verification of the Original records of the school and on payment of the prescribed fee.

(iv) Applications regarding change in name/surname will be considered where such changes have been permitted by a Court of Law and notified in a Government Gazette. In the event of Court of Judicature allowing the change of name of a candidate, the same shall be carried out by the Board after obtaining relevant documents concerning change of name published in an official gazette.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
2447 Answers
6 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can always prepare a notarised affidavit stating the both are one and the same person and keep the copy with all your documents so that in case your birth certificate is needed to be produced then this discrepancy can be managed by this notarised affidavit.

Otherwise you can continue to mention her name as it appears in the other documents including educational certificates.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
51403 Answers
612 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer