• My wife have cheated me in terms speaking lies all the times, sharing the family things with others

My wife is having habbit of speaking lie at all the times for everything. Also she have shared all family things to outsiders of the family on our back. Also her parents especially her mother are giving us dhamaki all the times. Can I get divorce in this case?
Asked 5 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

You can file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty 


2) wife abusing husband amounts to mental cruelty 


3) you have to prove allegations made in divorce petition 


4) contested divorce cases take 5 years to be disposed of 


5) your wife can seek interim maintenance and alimony from you 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95402 Answers
7644 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can. Please get in touch with me. [deleted] (nine eight two zero eight nine seven eight eight four). 

You will have to come to my office for exhaustive consultation

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1558 Answers
5 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear Client,

All such act are counted has mental cruelty but there should be some specific incidents of cruelty to make your case stronger.  

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
22768 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Yes, you must elaborate the circumstances to show to the court that such private disclosures made by your wife lead to miserable life.  You could not face the society due to such private details in the public.  There are chances of even loosing your job.  If such disclosures known to your employer and so and so.  Such disclosures which damages your reputation etc, comes within the definition of cruelty.  Accordingly file divorce on the ground of cruelty.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

A divorce petition has to be filed in the district court.the grounds for divorce have to be specifically stated in the petition. The grounds you have stated are not sufficient so as to grant you the relief prayed for. The court will most likely send the matter for mediation. You would have to state very strong grounds in orde rti geta  speedy divorce.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
14091 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is not a strong ground for seeking divorce.

You may have to add certain other strong ingredients depicting her acts of cruelty if yo are serious about dissolving your marriage by a decree of divorce.

You can discuss with a local advocate and move forward on the basis of suggestions received.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85605 Answers
2256 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Well, two persons are never same and identical and everyone has his own characteristics traits which is to be understood or corrected.

2. Old habits die hard and hence you will have to work for some more time to get her habits changed.

3. Due to habit of a your better  half do not think of taking divorce. 

4. Marriage is made in heaven which has to be worked out on this plant. So keep patience and bear her for sometime to see change in her behaviour.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22962 Answers
499 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

See if wife is treating you with cruelty and giving you mental cruelty then in that case you can file a divorce on ground of cruelty under section 13 hindu marriage act. Taking ground of mental cruelty .

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can take divorce on  ground of cruelty, by adding other grounds.

Pramod Shankarappa Dhule
Advocate, Pune
29 Answers

Not rated

Dear client if u can record their Dhamki / or threatening phone calls.. then that will be the solid proofs.. 

First lodge a police complaint against Ur wife and wife's parents..

Then file for divorce on the ground of cruelty.. mental harrassment.. threatening...

Kavery Anand Pandharpurkar
Advocate, Bangalore
336 Answers
12 Consultations

Not rated

This is my response to you:

1. Firstly you will have to obtain judicial separation;

2. Then you can apply for divorce provided your marriage is more than 1 year old;

3. You can also seek mutual consent divorce instead of contested divorce;

4. Consult a local lawyer and take steps.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will have to file case for divorce on grounds of cruelty against your wife, apart from that there is no other option. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19299 Answers
32 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that whatever your wife has been doing/ behaving and her mother talks, all are cruelity on you which is one of the ground of divorce as per Indian Family Law.
  2. I advice you to have records of all these talks or messages, and then go for the divorce on the ground of the same.
  3. As these would help you, if you file divorce petition before they may file any complain against you.
  4. This is what people been doing, by filing false cases against the groom to harass him and his family.
  5. Once you have filed divorce prior to her complain of any nature, then you can say that the complaints are counter blast on you, and those proofs of recording or messages would help you for sure.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5474 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

These are instances of mental cruelty which is a ground of dissolution of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act. Hence, you may file a petition to this end in the court, but you will have to prove it through the evidence of an independent witness/

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Yes, you can file divorce case against your wife on cruelty basis. Plus threatening and harassing throughout days.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12940 Answers
256 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can file for divorce on grounds of cruelty.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32243 Answers
187 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer