• Plot allocated by Society lost to previous owner - Should I go to consumer forum?


I have site of dimension 37 x 50 ft ( 'A' Katha ) in Mysore allocated by Railway House Building society in 1989 for which I had paid full amount and had got the whole site registered to me. And I've been paying the property tax for above said sqft till date.

Few years later, the previous owner of the land from who the House building society bought the land, went to the court and won the case 3 years ago in the high court. He now has occupied 20 x 37 within my plot.
But the society has neither communicated anything related to this matter to me nor they have reached out to compensate for this loss of mine.

At this point, having lost a part of my plot without any due compensation, whom should we reach out to ? Can we file a case in the consumer forum against the society for not intimating and compensating me for the lost area? Kindly suggest what options do I have.

Thank you
Asked 6 months ago in Property Law from Mysore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu


You will not come under the definition of the consumer as defined in the consumer protection act and filing a case before the consumer forum will not be an appropriate remedy. 

It is advised that you file a civil suit to claim compensation. 

Also, seek advise from some lawyer and challenge the order of the HC before the SC. 



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
15470 Answers
225 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You have to challenge court order of previous owner and make party to society as well  and ask for you compensation in the higher court.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
6426 Answers
47 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

File complaint against society before consumer forum and seek orders to direct society to pay you compensation for the lost area 


you should seek market price of lost area or orders to provide alternate plot 


also seek litigation costs and compensation for mental torture undergone by you 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
61254 Answers
3715 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir you to file a suit against society to recover  the damages occur due to the order of the court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
15272 Answers
63 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can initiate legal proceedings against the Society to seek compensation from them on account of loss suffered by you, in case there was an indemnification clause in the sale deed executed in between you and the society.

If there is an indemnification clause, the Society is liable to compensate you for this loss at market rate. 

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
8214 Answers
116 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to file compensation against the party from whom you have taken the said plot and that person didnt inform you about the same. If society is the said party then you need to approach the consumer court if its the society else you need to approach the civil court if the party vary.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
8252 Answers
11 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You have to approach to the consumer forum if the value of the claim is less than 20 lakh rupees but in case the value runs over and exceeds Rupees 20 lacs including legal charges and the compensation claim by you apart from the property value then you have to go to state consumer dispute redressal commission and file a complaint against the society who have a located the blood to you after full payment of the price of the plot and claim the compensation. Your complaint will definitely take time but you will get justice

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
4884 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

It is a purely civil case and judgment should not have  been passes without you being party. The documents have to perused. You can challenge the whole process saying you are necessary party and you can also make both the parties liable to pay you compensation for misleading the court and getting such orders.


Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru www.kishanretiredjudge.com
3968 Answers
92 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You first issue a legal notice to the society demanding proper compensation for the portion of land that was taken away by the owner though the society had sold it to you.

After that you can file a writ petition against the society seeking compensation as per the judgment for the portion of land taken away by the owner.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
51330 Answers
609 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer