• How to defend my family from false acquisitions that my Wife and her family is putting on us.

How to defend my family from false acquisitions that my Wife and her family is putting on us.

I got married on Feb 2018. Since then my wife is mentally harassing / torturing me and my entire family.
She and her family, specially her brother and parents are always threatening me to do the things their way, else they will go to court and do false police complain or they will ask their daughter to give divorce to me. My wife is also not in a situation to understand right or wrong. She always gets carried away with her family and always misbehave with me and have abused me publicly many a times. She has also physically hit me many a times and threatens me that she will call the police and file a complaint against me for domestic violence. Her family has many a times insulted my family in public. Now at present her parents came and have taken her back to their home with all her belongings. this happened on 15th August 2018. Me and My family is going through too much mental, emotional, physical and financial harassment. Please help and save us.
Asked 6 days ago in Family Law from Etah, Uttar Pradesh
Religion: Hindu


You may go ahead and lodge a NC in the police station that you are being threatened of false cases etc. 

Keep record of messages, verbal abuse, harassment wherein they are harassing you.

So that in case any case is filed by them in future then you have a valid defense to take, nothing much can be done in anticipation at this stage. 

Ask them for mutual consent divorce if they wish to end the marriage. 


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
13226 Answers
173 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

See firstly file a complaint with police for intimidation and regular threats from her and family along abuse and for physical hurting you and your family.

Further talk you wife if she can mend her ways and restore the conjugal rights if not ask.for a mutual divorce. 

Further your mother can file a DV on her for abuse.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
9454 Answers
31 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)file for divorce on expiry of one year of marriage 


2) in case wife files false dowry harassment case file petition in HC seek stay against arrest 


3)wife abusing husband amounts to mental cruelty and is ground for divorce 


4) wife threatening to file false case against husband amounts to mental cruelty 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
54249 Answers
3256 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

there is a provision in domestic violence act that not only wife can file case for domestic violence against in laws but mother in law can also file a case for domestic violence against ur wife so the first option you have is that Ur mother can file a domestic violence case against Ur wife. 

You can also file divorce under the grounds of cruelty.  Hire a good senior advocate he will help you. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
3200 Answers
2 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

If things are not gone out of your hand this is time to act you have to take your wife to a psychologist and marriage counselor to get the behavioural rectification this may help you to get your wife as in case he is taking any decision which is the legal it might create some problem but in case it happens then you have to take appropriate action to save yourself and your family.

If you wife is not taking care in her matrimonial relationship then you have to give her a sock and stop talking to her when she is away from your home and see what is going to happen you need not to worry about 498 a domestic violence are any other acquisitions by your wife this is very normal in case of disturbed marriage but in case you are not wrong this will have only some mental trauma to handle this.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
3780 Answers
7 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) You can file a case against her for cruelty and desertion.


2) Mention all above things in the case.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
4453 Answers
29 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Apt recourse available to you is to file a petition seeking restitution of conjugal rights. This will be a tactical move and will strengthen your ground and thereafter, in case she files any false or concocted case against you, it will be easier for you to defend the same.

Also understand that there is no automatic arrest in matrimonial cases anymore and hence, even if she manages to register a false case against you, you will have ample of opportunity to defend.  

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
7474 Answers
88 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you can file divorce in the said case if you want. If she files any false case against your family or you then you can file anticipatory bail and get protection for your family from arrest. you need to decide what you want to do.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, MUMBAI
3404 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Presently you cannot file a divorce case on the grounds of cruelty but can file a Petition seeking judicial separation because your marriage is not one year old.

If you apprehend they to lodge a criminal complaint with the police on dowry harassment offences, you may be watchful about it and then apply for AB at the right time to avoid being arrested and then challenge the false cases properly.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
44215 Answers
504 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer