• Partnership issue

Four years ago my friend asked me to open a gymnasium in the building which belongs to his father. We have an agreement, without any formal proceeding about rent and there is no time limit mentioned for the partnership.the firm is not registered
 We recovered only the initial investment after four years and now he want to through me out off the business by offering me the current value of the setup, which would be around half of the initial investment plus all other upgradations and maintenance. This would be big loss to me.
Please guide me what i can do.
Asked 4 years ago in Business Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

Sir does your partnership deed mentions about the termination of the partnership is there any clause of same.

See if there is any dispute among the partners the firm can be dissolved he can do that you both disputing among yourself cannot run the business.

In case.the firm dissolves the assets and liabilities of it are divided in that way you receive the half only..

So better to ask him for some compensation along with value of assets and leave it amicable rather then struggling in court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

these kind of things happen in the business where the clash of leadership over the functional responsibilty or over investment. As per law such things are resolved by means of arbitration or by associating counsel to resolve such issues.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You can reject your friend offer as you woukd be at a loss if you retire as partner from the firm

2) you can refer disputes to arbitration if there is arbitration clause in your contract

3) ask your friend to pay you amount t invested by you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

your friend has to pay you for your exit on basis of the agreed profit and loss ratio agreed in your agreement and also refund the capital invested by you

there is no point continuing with the partnership as there is bitterness between the two partners

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
6882 Answers
79 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

IS there any clause about profit sharing in partnership deed ?

Is this executed on stamp paper or plain paper ?

Any dissolution/termination clause ?

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. IF the Partnership Deed is NOT registered, THEN it is not legally enforceable in court for any settlement. Hence try to settle amicably and sort out the differences.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I think there is no choice left then to leave the business because even if you don't agree to leave the business he will get out of partnership and the partnership firm will be dissolved and in that case you have to sell out all the equipments whether to him or to any outside party to realise the amount to be divided between both of you as there is no agreement on the property so you cannot forced to stay there with your equipment and business

It is advisable that you have to take a decision which is a mutually agreed between both of you to go out of this business peacefully

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

In the absence of any formal legally valid partnership deed or agreement neither of you can initiate any legal steps against each other.

the solution before is that you both should reconcile the difference and arrive at an amicable settlement.

if that is not possible then you issue a legal notice to him on the basis of oral agreement between you both and invite him for an amicable settlement of the issue or to face the legal consequences.

this notice would serve the purpose of some correspondence or evidence between both for any future litigation.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Sen a legal notice to him and thereafter if he does not mend his ways file a police complaint and civil suit against him.

Collect some evidences wherein he admits to the fact that you have invested initially and that you were one of the partner in the case.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer