• Need to get a mother tongue certificate for admission of my ward in school


I am a mother of a 3 year old daughter and I am from Karnataka (with Konkani as my mother tongue). My husband is from Maharashtra and is also from a Konkani speaking family. He was born and brought up in Maharashtra for the last 35 years. Now my daughter is seeking admission for LKG in a school which prioritizes admission to families with Konkani as mother tongue.

Please let us know which certificates can be furnished by the parents to depict mother tongue and will be considered as valid proofs?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

1)affidavit that your mother is konkani should suffice

2) if you are able to speak konkani they should be convinced that konkani is your mother tongue

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87917 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Generally the same is mentioned in the school leaving certificate in the following format:


Else you may make self declaration in the following format: http://ghrce.raisoni.net/admission18/12.%20Proforma-O%20(Linguistic%20Minority).pdf

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will have to give an affidavit on Rs 100 non judicial stamp paper stating your mother tongue and the said documents should be duly notarized by a notary public. Only affidavit would suffice.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5928 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Only 1 affidavit from your or your husband behalf on stamp paper.

duly notarized with notary public is sufficient for this.

you know konkani then it's a plus point.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Please obtain a Domicile Certificate from Tehsildar of your area.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I am afraid that there may be no such provision in law for that.

You may produce some bonafide certificate from your native or give an affidavit duly notarized with documentary evidences supporting your statement to establish your nativity and mother tongue.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78070 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. You will need to obtain the school leaving certificate from her play school area or your husband's SLC (stating his mother tongue) will also do;

2. You will need to obtain also the certificate for your daughter in the below mentioned format:

Proforma – G1

(For Candidates from Maharashtra and Karnataka disputed Border Area)


This is to certify that Shri / Smt. ………………………………………………… (candidate himself/herself) is a resident of …………………………………………..… Village in ……………Taluka ………………. District. This village is a village which exists in Maharashtra Karnataka disputed border area. His / Her mother tongue is Marathi (Kokani).

This certificate is issued for the purpose of his / her ward’s / candidate’s admission to Junior K.G. for the academic year 2018-19

Outward No. & Date :

District Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/

Place :

Taluka Executive Magistrate

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer