• DOB change in 10th certificate

Hey There 
I am stuck in a serious scenario. My actual DOB is 09.08.1999 That is also the same in all my documents like passport, birth certificate , driving license , pan card etc. But my class 10th mark sheet shows the DOB as 09.08.2000. I want to rectify the date in my class 10th mark sheet. Please suggest me the possible ways for the same.

year of passing 10th: 2016
year of passing 12th: 2018

and due to my 10th certificate the dob in my all the 12th documents is 2000 as per CBSE.

Due to this problem I am not able to pursue my studies in abroad and have to drop one full year.
Very Urgent problem need to rectify it asap. And please tell the duration of al these. 

Thank you in advance
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

You have to file an application before the CBSE to rectify mistake based on your birth certificate since still there is time for rectification as you passed this year then in that case they shall rectify. Further in 10th mark sheet they shall not rectify as limitation is one year. In case they deny then you have to file a writ petition in the high court seeking direction for the CBSE to rectify the birth date as per the birth certificate.



Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, Sir, you may not have to worry about the interpretation of law on this piont as there has been number of judgments which talk about thee limitations period of 5 years since the time it has been put in CBSE documents by mistake or otherwise.

Secondly, you may also have to give an affidavit stating the reason for doing so now.

Thirdly, you may have to approach the CBDE headquarter, if they do not listen to you then give them a written representation then wait for 3 to 5 days, and then file a Writ of Mandamus in the Honourable High Court of Delhi for seeking directions for the CBSE to act in it.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you can approach the Hon'ble High Court having territorial jurisdiction over the school / relevant board by way of Civil Writ Petition under Article 226 and 227 of Constitution of India or Hon'ble Supreme Court under Article 32 of Constitution of India, to direct the concerned school / board to make amendments to your certificate.

Prove your case on merits before the Hon'ble High Court or Supreme Court, as the case may be, and the Court will direct them to make amends.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You have to go with birth certificate and get change in CBSE 10th and 12th Mark sheet certificate accordingly.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You need court orders to rectify date of birth in your school leaving certificate

2) CBSE would not change date of birth in your school certificate after lapse of 2 years

3) rely upon your birth certificate to obtain court orders for rectification of date of birth in school leaving certificate

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You have to go through the process of publication and also through rectification in board data.

Anand Shukla
Advocate, New Delhi
666 Answers
14 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Firstly send the board from which you passed your class X to rectify the mistake if they fail to do so then file a suit for declaration and direction to be issued by court to concerned authorities to change the date of birth in the records.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In accordance with the rules of CBSE, it does not interferes by making change/correction of Date of Birth after two years after the declaration of the result of Class X examination.

If two years have not elapsed in your case, move a representation requesting correction of your DOB in your 10th mark sheet. I do not apprehend that you should face any problem in this, because your correct DOB in mention in your DOB and hence there should not be any difficulty to CBSE in reconciling the DOb as reflected in your DOB and your mark sheet.

Approach the Delhi High COurt if they do not act upon your representation.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

You need to rectify your DOB with help of Birth Certificate.

Jaswant Singh
Advocate, Gurugram
926 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

What is the reason that this change took place i.e., instead of the actual date of birth, as per birth certificate the incorrect date of birth has been given in the school certificate??

It will not be possible for changing the date of birth in the 10th and 12 standard certificates.

You can apply for rectification of date of birth with the school authorities based on the original birth certificate, the school authorities will refuse to accept your request, after this you can file a suit for declaring your correct date of birth and also to direct the school educational authorities to amend the date of birth in the educational certificate.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer