• Marriage certificate correction

Is it possible to take hyphenated last name example 
Nancy John-Samuel to Nancy Samuel? And birthday date was wrong.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Christian

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers


Yes there is no bar to such change legally in india.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0


The certificate should contain the same name and DOB as exists. If the details are wrong either intentionally/inadvertently, they have to be corrected by giving a correction application to the marriage registrar or their existence may be questioned at a later date.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13757 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can apply to marriage registrar for correcting the wrong particulars mentioned in marriage certificate

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87915 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You can have change in name as per your wish. But for date of birth you have to produce hospital certificate or municipal corporation certificate that is final and valid to verify DOB with other documents.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The marriage certificate name can be corrected subject to the record of the name in the documents and an application can for same can be made to the marriage registrar.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to execute an affidavit before a 1st Class Judicial Magistrate in India affirming that your name and date of birth was incorrectly recorded in all your certificates and records which are now required to be corrected and fresh certificates issued.

2. After collecting the said affidavit affirmed before the said Magistrate with his seal and signature, you can send copy of the same to the Marriage Registrar and other authorities for making the appropriate correction in their records and issue you the certificate afresh.

3. The Marriage Registrar may not be able to issue you the fresh marriage certificate but based on the said affidavit, you shall be known accordingly as per law.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You want to change the name from the one appearing in the certificate, if it is not possible to remove the hyphen or change the same in the certificate, you may prepare an affidavit duly notarised and the get the published as public notice in a leading newspaper.

Keep the copies of this as evidence for the name changed accordingly to prove the change of name.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78070 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes it is possible

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This has to be done in India or in States?

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

An application for rectification of the error has to be made to the marriage registrar which has issued the certificate. The procedure is rather complex. If the date of birth has been wrongly recorded in your documents of identity then marriage registrar may in all likelihood refuse to change the particulars on the marriage certificate unless a rectification is first made in the documents where the date of birth has been erroneously mentioned.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer