• Victim of cricket betting

Good morning sir/madamr, I am student studying mba have became a victim of cricket betting by some people, encouraged me in earning money through betting and this incident was of last year ipl 2014 in april and even my studies have gone waste and they have given me some money to deposit around 12 lakhs near local bookies and i did as they said and in turn they have agreed to take about 10,000 to 15,000. totally 18 people involved in this act and all the these people have taken the said amount for all the matches played nearly about 40 matches of 10,000 each totally 4 lakhs each and later on by the last days, bookies ran away with the beniffeted money so pressure on me was very high by these people demanded me to give money back even though they have taken double their investments and i even tried to suicide but i had no courage.. at last now i came to know that these people are trying to adopt my only house illeagly... all of them were beniffited with double the money of what they have invested through me near bookies and now still they are threating me to give back my investments... so plzz sir suggest me i have left with no option and no way to survive without my house, thats my only property left and its the property of my mother to me and she expired before 4 years and then my father became irresposive of family responsibilities and left us and gone far away from us... so plz sir/madam i request you  to suggest me the further steps to do to save my life....
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law from Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1. I am not sure how these people would gra your house illegally.
2. Though you have done illegal things in getting yourself involved in betting but I believe there is no proof of payment to you.
3. if that is so then they can not lodge complaint against you , more so, the change of hand of money is itself illegal for which no complaint can be lodged.
4. Shun all connection with them and concentrate in your studies only.
5. if they are threatening you lodge complaint against you Do remember more you fear more would be ther pressure. So put a brave front at whatever price it may cost.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13137 Answers
174 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You violated the law by indulging in betting and thus landed yourself in a legal conundrum from which it may be difficult to wriggle out. 

2. If they are attempting to grab your property then move to court immediately and apply for a stay order against the property being illegally taken over. This is the only legal recourse you can adopt to protect your property. 

3. If your life is under threat then apply for protection to the police. 

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23120 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Betting is illegal in India,

2. You have indulged yourself in the said illegal act and have thus committed offence as per law,

3. However, under no circumstances any body can attach your inherited property without due process of law i.e. with out any Court Order,

4. Deny your involvement with the said betting and lodge a police complaint if you are harassed by those people.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18752 Answers
453 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

cricket betting is illegal. any contract or agreement for its betting is also illegal so your partners have no right to claim their money from you. if they want to adduce any evidence in this regard then it shall not be admissible by the court. 
you should get temporary injunction towards your house. and file an FIR against them under section 383/504/506 IPC. 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

immediately file a complaint before police with the real facts.

the police will registered a case against them and legal action will be taken by police.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4875 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

File a police complaint exposing these bookies and convince the police that you are the victim of the same who was brainwashed and influence by these people. They are not intimidating you and giving you threats which are harmful to your life. When you give details to the police, all the persons will be caught and you would have to testify truly. Plead guilty to your offence and go for plea bargaining.
Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
885 Answers
64 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer