• 10th and 12th Marks Card in Engineering

Dear Sir/Madam,

I had to discontinue my Engineering in the year 2005 (2nd year) due to Financial reasons and had to start working. Now I need my certificates back so I can pursue some degree course. However, the college I was studying in ( Bangalore - VTU university affiliated) are refusing to provide my certificates until I pay for the remaining 2 years which is amounting to close to 1 Lakh rupees. Is it legal to charge for the remaining years like that despite me not attending college? I understand they would require some compensation but charge the entire 2 years fees seems too much. Just wanted some guidance on how to proceed on this.

Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

10 answers received in 1 day.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

You are not bound to pay 2 years fees

File police complaint against college for criminal breach of trust under section 406 of IPC

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87973 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

They cannot do like that give them in writing your circumstances forced you to leave your education better to agency through which you have joined the course.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Student,

You can get immediate relief in HC. They cannot blackmail you like that. There is no circular supporting by the college management. You will win and get the certificates back without any payment. It is a criminal offense saying that dead body cannot be given until bills are paid, by hospital authorities. Courts held that such claim is a civil claim and they must file suit for recovery of money if you legally liable to them. They cannot use such cheap tactics.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Sir they cannot ask you money to give back your documents you can file a representation before the college inder what circumstances you were forced to leave and ask them to return your documents. If they do not return instead ask.for money file a writ petition before high.court seeking direction for university to release your documents.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

They can only charge some fine from you in lieu of administrative charge.

You can't be compelled to pay fees for the year when you did not study at all in the University.

Send them a Legal Notice saying that you are willing to pay the fine, provided they are ready to release your docs; else you'll sue them .

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The demand for the remaining course period is unjustified and illegal.

You can issue a legal notice through your lawyer seeking return of yor original certificates held by them.

What were you doing for all these 13 years without taking any step on this?

You can drag them to court seeking mandatory injunction against th college administration for return of your educational certificates held by them.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78131 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The college does not have any lien on the certificates of the students. If a student has not paid the dues of the institute then latter can at the most file a suit for recovery of money but it cannot withhold the certificates of the former.

2. You may file a writ petition in the High Court against the college to seek directions to release your certificates forthwith.

3. Furthermore, the college can charge fee only for the academic year in which you had enrolled yourself. It cannot demand fee for the subsequent years. This is illegal. File the writ petition against college.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You may send them a polite application asking your documents. If possible, try to get second copy of documents from the board by paying requisite fee because the fee paid for the certificates in board will be very less.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Firslty, Sir, as you have mentioned that it was then when you stopped going to the college.

Secondly, yes, it is totally arbitrary to charge for 2 years fees despite of some nominal fine for the same.

Thirdly, in fact, they should state as to under what rule they have been asking for the 2 years fees.

Fourhtly, you give them a representation then file a Writ of Mandamus in the High Court if no response by them.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Send registered letter followed by legal notice to return your certificates. If no action move consumer redress forum and also claim compensation towards mental and physical agony caused to you, Also write to the concerned university.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer