• Passport: what is the responsibility of landlord if tenant gets passport made on rented property add

I got passport made of my maid at my address in good faith (police verification was done and we signed a lease agreement which she used to update aadhaar and then make her passport). After 2 days of receiving the passport she now wants to leave. What is the possible risk for me in this. She had used my aadhaar copy for police verification as well. I went to the police station where i was suggested to get the passport cancelled. Pls advise, what are my options.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

Hi, if you have a sense of security, you can provide a complaint to local police station and also to the passport authority

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Terminate the lease agreement

2) inform Police that lease has been terminated with the maid abd that she is no longer staying in address mentioned in passport

3) ask the maid to change her place of residence in passport

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87897 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Police has no authority to seize passport instead inform the regional passport office which has issued her passport.


Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Police will only verify whether she stay at given address or not.

dont panic, Ask Her an affidavit in this regard on minimum value of non judicial stamp paper to prove that she don't have wrong intension,

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19029 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

- Address given in passport is not a problem for the passport holder as well as for the landlord . It can be change any time , just after submitting application along with document in support .People do move from one place to another after getting the passport .

- Since, you have given the consent for making the said passport to your maid by way of police verification done and with a signed lease agreement . So, you cannot say that she has obtained the said passport without your consent or knowledge.

- As , now she wanted to leave you , then you should terminate that lease agreement by way of taking a simple agreement after stating that now there is not any type of relation/ contract between you and the said maid.

- Otherwise, you should inform the passport office of your jurisdiction after informing that now the said person has already left your premises and further you will be not responsible for any wrong act done by the said passport holder in future from this immediate date.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
9872 Answers
121 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You had made the lease doc stating that she s your tenant which is giving false information to the authorities. Now the maid may be a Bangladeshi or an indian. Considering that she is an Indian.....If she commits any crime or if her husband is involved in any illegal activity then you can be interrogated.

If I may ask while did she need a passport? Does she have plans yo work abroad? I mean the gulf.

Otherwise a maid is not interested in a passport .

Therefore inform the authorities and they will do he needful.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13755 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please note that passport is related to an individual not to property, there is no harm to you if she is leaving having your address. I suggest for the safer side take a hand written application from her narrating the whole circumstances and reason for leaving.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If her character and antecedents are not under any kind of suspicion or danger, you may not be worried about it.

Since she got her passport on the basis of the lease agreement, you cannot be held responsible for any untoward incident which you may anticipate or apprehend.

Just ignore it and look into your routine work.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78050 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Was the lease agreement used by her as address proof?

If yes, then rather than going through the hassle of getting the passport cancelled, simply terminate the lease agreement that you have with her. Thereafter there is nothing to worry about.

Shekhar Banerjee
Advocate, Delhi
156 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer