• Harassment at workplace

I have been victim to harassment at my work from my boss who constantly abuses me. He has used words like chutiya and bhenchod in official one on one interactions which has affected my productivity and mental health. Things have reached to a point where he has put me into a performance improvement plan where my job is at stake. I am a patient of anxiety and depression and these incidents have caused me tremendous amounts for stress leading me to be diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I had complained to the hr about the issue but they came back saying use of abusive language was also done from me and i think they will not be able to punish my manager for the same. Please help me. This unnecessary stress and use of abusive words has led me into major depression wherein i am not able to perform on my job duties
Asked 4 years ago in Labour

9 answers received in 1 day.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

Your boss has no business in using expletives against you

2) if no action is taken against your manager by HR complain to MD of company against abusive behaviour of your boss

3) you can also file Police complaint against your boss for harassment at work place

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Fill out a defamation complaint and file your lawsuit.

a suit for damages may be filed against your boss in a civil court. But ideally one should start with approaching the management of the Company so that an internal inquiry may be conducted against the concerned person. One will need enough proof of harassment to successfully sue the boss. Also with greater details the possibility of filing a criminal complaint against the concerned person could be explored.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. Using slang or profanities in public is a crime for which both civil and criminal case of defamation can be filed.

2. So f you wish you can file those cases for compensation and punishment. However the said action is likely to result in your termination.

3. In any event you can not work anymore in this hostile environment. So better raise your voice, protest and seek legal recourse as advised above.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Mam lodge a FIR with the police for abuse haarsment at work place and give letter to senior police official SP/ commissioner stating that company has faied to take action against the haarrasment.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, Sir, I may understand the situation from which ou are going through.

Secondly, yes you can make a complain to the labour department for the same being done to you.

Thirdly, but, try to accumulate some proof like audio or video recording while doing it, so that you may not be put to the question that you have used the abusive language first.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please approach to the police station and file FIR against your marriage for his misbehavior and abusive language with you.

You have also opportunity to file a defamation case against him under section 500 of IPC in court.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You need to immediately take legal recourse in the instant matter.

You are advised to send a legal notice to your manager, and this co., i.e, your employer and seek compensation from them in lieu of the loss of health caused to you due to the harassment that you have been subjected to all this while. In case they fail to pay up, you would be free to avail remedies as available to you under civil and criminal law.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Lodge a FIR against the manager and also the company. The police will then take action against the manager.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In case hr does not take action against your manager for abusing and threatening you lodge a complaint with jurisdiction police under 504 ipc and also send notice to the hr that you will claim for damages against company for mental agony undergone by you due to the hr shielding accused. Firstly keep recording of the abuses made by the manager.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The boss has no rights to use abusive language on his employees.

If you are affected then you should take legal action against him by first making a written representation against him before the top management, let them give a reply or take any action.

If you are not satisfied with their action or the output then you may plan to move further with proper legal actions.

You may even decide to resign the job and shift to some other company if you cannot bear the stress in this place.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. You can first send a formal letter from your side to your HR and the employer and if they don't resolve the dispute you will take legal action;

2. If he still does not resolve the problems then send the HR and your employer a legal notice through a lawyer;

3. If they still do not listen to your problems then approach the labour commissioner;

4. Also ask them to pay compensation for the mental torture and the monetary losses suffered by you.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer