• Cancellation of sale agreement


In the process of sale of our property we have signed an agreement with our tenant for lesser amount than the correct amount (government rate) due to lack of knowledge.  How can we get the correct amount from the buyer or is there any chance of cancelling the  agreement?  If we violate the agreement can he go to the court?  Kindly suggest how can we proceed? The agreement is not registered and written on a stamp paper.  Registration of the property is due.
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh

Thank you for posting your query.

You may sign another agreement for cancellation/modification of the earlier agreement. But that has to be done with the consent and signatures of both the parties.

If you violate the agreement i.e do not execute the sale deed, then the other party can file a suit for specific performance of the contract.

Do let me know if you require any further assistance. 

Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
32 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Since the sale agreement is not registered, the buyer can not ask for specific performance of the contract but can claim damages only.  As advised by Adv. Nishant Bora, you can modify the agreement to mention the correct amount. It is good that the agreement is not registered otherwise your tenant would have defended his possession under the provisions of Transfer of Property Act.
H. S. Thukral
Advocate, New Delhi
527 Answers
141 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
I agree with what my two learned colleagues have advised.
Prabhat Shroff
Advocate, Kolkata
141 Answers
39 Consultations
3.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a Lawyer

Property Lawyers

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
27360 Answers
1487 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
17483 Answers
165 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
13586 Answers
292 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
19611 Answers
507 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
6913 Answers
78 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
3146 Answers
47 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
974 Answers
69 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2032 Answers
24 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1303 Answers
71 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
823 Answers
58 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0