• Caste certificate

I am exm obc (kahar/dhivar) category and govt employee 

My brother is teacher under ST category (Gond) by obtaing forge cast certificate and trying hard to change record of entire grand family.

Our relation is not good and I fear to be victim of fraud by alteration of records. My concern is 

How to prove that I am OBC not ST? Which office is maintaining record of my family caste. Which document reflect my caste i.e. KAHAR/Dhivar
Asked 6 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers


first of all, obtain a caste certificate from the Tehsildar/ SDM office. you must have obtained a caste certificate before in applying for a govt. job etc.

then along with your and your father's/mother's/ relatives caste certificate file a representation before the SDM/tehsildar stating the facts which you have mentioned in the question. the govt. authorities would take appropriate action.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
14091 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

file a suit before concerned civil court for declaration to declare your cast.

Konda Srinivas
Advocate, Hyderabad
215 Answers
2 Consultations

Not rated

1) You have to visit collector office of your area or one window scheme is available in your state for all types of certificates.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12940 Answers
256 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Now the certificates are available on online. A a caste certificate issued from the Tehsildar/ SDM office.Visit

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
4080 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir you can get a obc certificate from the tehsildar SDM in your local taluka/tehsil by applying for obc certificate along with ID proof and family rasan card. Your father caste document can be given for refrence.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your father must be having OBC certificate

2) OBC certificate is issued if relatives from paternal side have OBC certificate

3The authorities competent to issue Caste Certificates are indicated below:

(i) District Magistrate / Additional Magistrate / Collector / Deputy Commissioner / Additional Deputy

Commissioner / Deputy Collector / Ist Class Stipendiary Magistrate / Sub-Divisional magistrate / Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Commissioner (not below the rank of Ist Class Stipendiary Magistrate

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. If you try to change your caste, it would affect your brother and there are laws which can even put him in jail;

2. Therefore it is my request to convince your brother to change his caste status;

3. You will need to approach the tehsildar and he will conduct the genealogy test to ascertain your true heritage;

4. Certain questions will be asked, about customs and practices and after verification by the scrutiny committee you will be awarded the caste certificate.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Approach the SDO office and inform them about this.

Hope this helps


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2965 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Until and unless you apply for community certificate for ST community by providing substantial documentary evidences you will not get the ST caste certificate, hence you better don't apply for it and keep off from this illegal activity.

You cannot get a certificate without applying for it.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You could, at first, inform the situation to the District Magistrate as well as the SSP/SP of your district/area as soon as possible.

Records are maintained by the backward classes development department with the superintendence of concerned DM.

Consult a civil cum criminal lawyer as soon as possible.

Otherwise, your brother might create problem for you & you would be a criminal before the eyes of law without committing any offence.

Santosh Kumar Tiwari
Advocate, Varanasi
6 Answers

Not rated

Generally the certificate is issued by the Panchayat or the office in your local jurisdiction where the birth has occurred. You get the castr certificate in basis of your father's certificate and entry in your certificate of the said caste. You need to file a RTI or certified copy for the same to know about the caste status.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32164 Answers
185 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer