• Age relaxation for appearing in Civil Services Exam

I have joined Indian Navy in the year 2005 and discharged from service in Mar 2013 after completing 8 years of service due to my selection as Assistant Commandant in CAPF exam. Now I am serving as Assistant Commandant in CRPF & I wish to appear in Civil Services Exam. I belong to General category & of 32 years of age as of now. I have been paid gratuity for my length of service in Indian Navy and my service certificate reads 'Discharge from service on selection in UPSC'. 

Am I eligible for claiming age relaxation as ex servicemen for appearing in Civil Services Examination ?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

8 Answers


You can surely appear in the exam. For ex-servicemen the age relaxation is 10 years

Ritu Gaur
Advocate, Delhi
35 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

You are entitled to claim age relaxation in view of your Navy service for 8 years which falls under ex-servicemen category.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
4166 Answers
258 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is a relaxation given to the army personnel but it is only for 5 years, which gives the maximum age for the army personnel as 35 years.

Beyond that you are not allowed to give the exam

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87898 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Ex servicemen who have rendered at least 5 years military service and have been released but Commissioned Officers (ECOs/SSCOs) who have been released on their own accord are not eligible to take the concession.

Also, A defence personnel cannot take the UPSC civil services while in service. However, a short service commissioned (SSC) officer in the army can take the exam if he has less than two years of service left.

Check your eligibility going through above.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

you should have ex-serviceman certificate issued by the department where you last served. generally the qualifying service for concession under ex-servicemen quota shall be prescribed in the application form itself, you can verify the information from the application form or from the advertisement.

the concession you have already availed for the purpose of employment with CRPF may be cited as reason for rejecting your application if you submit any seeking concession or age relaxation.

But it is not an end, you may try your luck.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78057 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, UPSC conducts number of state as well as national level exams.

Secondly, yes, you should be eligible for the same as you may be discharged as a selective candidate of UPSC, but not for the same post as of now you want to appear.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Aso, It is mandatory that you should have completed continuous 3 years of service in your job. Then you can appear for the exam

Ritu Gaur
Advocate, Delhi
35 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

RELAXATION TO EX-SERVICEMEN IN GOVT JOB FOR vacancies of Group 'A' and 'B' post where Ex-Servicemen are offered age relaxation of only Five years instead of Military Service + 3 Years. We can refer the Office Memorandum (OM) No. 39016/15/79-Estt.(C) dated 07.09.1981 issued by Govt of India, Ministry of Home Afairs, Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms. There is clear guideline regarding age relaxation to ESM. Sub-Para (i) of Para (1) of above mentioned OM refers "The upper age limit shall be relaxed by the length of Military Service increased by Three Years in the case of ex-servicemen and commissioned officer including ECO (Emergency commissioned officer)/SSCOs (Short Service Commissioned Officers) for appointment to any vacancy in group 'A' and group 'B' services/posts filled by direct recruitment otherwise than on the results of an open All India Competitive Examination held by the UPSC subject to the condition that:

(i) the continuous service rendered in the Armed Forces by an ex servicemen is not less than six months after attestation and

(ii) that the resultant age after deducting his period of service from his actual age does not exceed the prescribed age limit by more than three years and also subject to usual conditions which have been prescribed in respect of appointment of ex servicemen to group 'C' and group 'D' posts vide department notification No. 39016/10/79-Estt.(C) dated 15.12.1979.Further clarification on this issue was issued vide OM No. 36034/8/88-Estt.(SCT) dated 19.05.1988.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27224 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer