• Surname change only my son's

I want to change my son's surname Samyaraj Shit to Samyaraj Seth, my name is Sanjoy Shit, wife name is Pradipta Dasgupta. What is the procedure?
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

1)affidavit of name change has to be executed

2) change of name has to be published in official gazette and 2 local newspapers

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87892 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Affidavit Submission: An affidavit needs to be prepared for name change. Make an affidavit reflecting old name and the changed name. Get it notarised by a notary.

2. Ad Publication: An announcement should be published in the newspaper. Make the name change publication in 2 newspapers local.

3. Gazette Notification: A notification should be published in the Gazette of India regarding the name change. Send the copies of the newspaper cutting copy of affidavit along with requisite fees to controller of gazetted printing at delhi it will be published in gazettee.

The gazzeettee notification can be used for future reference

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


What is the age of your child?

And in what all documents the name has to be changed?


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear sir surname is part of name when written on documents so you need to make an affidavit stating samayaraj shit to samayaraj seth same procedure is followed.

So in my above given answer name include name as well as surname there is same procedure which is required to be followed.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A format for the affidavit is given below:

Before the Judicial Magistrate, Court Name


I Mr. ……………………….. S/o ………………………………… aged about ____________ yrs, residing at………………………………. ,do hereby solemnly affirm and state:

That my recorded name in school and college is ______________(YOURNAME), but I myself popularly known as _________________(New name).That after the completion of my studies I want to start a business in IT Sector. From the numerology point of view; I came to a conclusion that the business in my nickname as in the name of NICKNAME will helpful for my endeavours.That by virtue of this affidavit, I changed my name from YOURNAME (old name) to CHOSENNAME (new name) and henceforth I shall be known as the CHOSENNAME (new name) for all purposes.That the facts stated above are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Identified by-

Advocate Deponent


Certified that the above named deponent being identified by ______________( ADVOCATE NAME), do hereby solemnly affirm his knowledge and belief.



Notary Public, City Name


Step- II:

Publication in the Newspaper

The next step is to publish an advertisement in two newspapers- one in the official vernacular language and the other in English.

This is done to publically declare the change in the name so that if a conflict arises later, you have an official declaration of your name change.

Preserve the copies of the newspapers very carefully as well its scanned copies.

A sample copy of the format is as follows:

I, Mr./Mrs.____________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by an affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on _________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all the purposes.

 ______ (Name) and ________ (Complete Postal Address).

Full Signature

Step- III:-

Notifying in the Gazette

The next step is to get your name published in the State/ national gazette.

Go to the department that looks after the Gazette publication, the Government Press, in most of the cases.Fill the “Deed changing surname Form” and fill it very carefully following all the instructions mentioned onThe name changing notification will then be published in the Gazette and you’ll receive its copies in the mentioned address in the Deed Form.


With this, the name change procedure gets officially completed.

 The documents required for Name change in gazette for Major / Minor:

For Major / Adults (Mandatory Documents)

ID Proof : Pan card or Passport or Driving Licence or Aadhar Card or Voters IdAddress proof : Ration Card or Aadhar Card or Electricity Bill

Photo : One Passport Size PhotoApplication Form : Duly Signed Application Form with all details & reason for Name change


Marriage certificate ( if Any for Female after Marriage)

Affidavit ( If Any Made for any reasons like Adoptions etc.)

Divorce papers (In case of Divorce) etc.

For Minor below 18 years (Mandatory Documents)

ID Proof: Aadhar card or School ID or Aadhar Card

Address Proof: Ration card or Aadhar Card

Age Proof: Birth Certificate or School LC or Bonafide

Photo: One Passport Size Photo

Application Form : Duly Signed By Minor if possible and parents or Guardians

Step- IV:-

Getting official documents changed

After you have successfully changed your name, you will have to update you official official documents (e.g.-Passport, PAN Card, Driving License, and Ration Card)

The good news is that your copies of the affidavit, Newspaper publication and the Gazette notification are enough to get these documents changed.

For changes in Passport, you need to fill the following form:For changes in the PAN card, you need to fill the following form:For changes in the Bank Accounts:

Copy of the affidavit and the gazette notification is needed.

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
1222 Answers
9 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. If your son has a birth certificate and not much time has passed since its issuance you can apply for the change of his surname.

2, If such change is no more possible then make an affidavit done from the first class magistrate and then make a newspaper publication.

3. Once that is done you can start using his new surname in all public documents.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This can be done by following the procedure described below:-

a. Execute an affidavit to this effect first. An affidavit needs to be prepared for changing the surname.

b. Then, an announcement should be published in the newspaper.

c. Lastly, a notification should be published in the Gazette of India regarding this change of surname.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, make a affidavit disclosing the reason of changing the surname.

Secondly, then advertise in the local newspaper and wait for 15 days.

Thirdly, after 15 days it would be final for your son to have a new surname.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Whether you are desiring to change only surname or full name, the procedure is the same that is being adopted or change of name.

Get an affidavit prepared mentioning the change of the name and get it notarised, get a public notice published in a local newspaper, after that if you feel that it has to be published in the government gazette also, then you can apply for that also on the basis f the affidavit and newspaper publication.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78048 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

The following procedure may be adopted

I am a lawyer by profession, and have followed the below given procedure for changing my own name. Let me use my experience to help you to change your own name.

Follow the below given steps for changing your own name.

Step 1 – Affidavit

Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. Recently, one of my friends was going to start his own company who was locally famous in his nickname, and thus he changed his name from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Agarwal.

Note: Here is your sample name change affidavit for reference.

Tips: Make a few copies of your affidavit, and preserve the original one carefully. It’s better to scan it, and preserve its electronic copy on your external hard disk as well as on multiple computers.

This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same, you can completely change your name (both first and last name, for example from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Verma).

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.


You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only once copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. It’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.

Step 3 – Gazette Notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)

3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)

2. The “Deed Changing Surname Form”

3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.

4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.

5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)

6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.


Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer