• What can I do if my wife threatens suicide

I am living with my wife and a kid. She just burst over small things. I bought all the things for what she wants. She just continually teased me for what i dont like. Even i tried to quit from the situation and requested her again and again not to do the same but that turned into arguments and then she threat me to do suicide and this is second time. I am living away from my home and parents now it looks like I am going to be in depression, I am already a diabtic patient. If i complain to her parents they never listen to me instead threatened me.
I am not sure what to do. Please help me.
Asked 6 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Sikh

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

Hi, first it is advisable to settle the problem amicably by your in-laws .. If she still keeps upon delevering such threats file a complaint before police ...

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4630 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) Try to get meeting of both sides parents and relatives explain all things what happened till date.

2) If still she is not listening than get one day meeting with family counselor in your city family court.

3) For safe side do inform in police station that she is trying to attempt suicide and she has done this twice. Make a complaint of this and take number from them and not FIR

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12910 Answers
251 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Move a complaint to police regarding above issue. So that it ll help u in future.

Saurav Khullar
Advocate, Mohali
45 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

Lodge complaint with local police station about wife constant threats to commit suicide

2) you can file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty

3) wife constant threats to commit suicide amounts to mental cruelty and is ground for divorce

4) contact a local lawyer

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94210 Answers
7429 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

At earlier instance you should report to police about intentions of your wife.

Arihant Nahar
Advocate, Indore
132 Answers

4.8 on 5.0

File a Non cognizable written complaint with police informing your wives threat of suicide.

Further you can either settle this with your both families.

Also if not than it is advised you take your wife to counsleer and may be he can help you with problem.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

My friend this is life and if you are facing this problem the easiest answer is to visit to a counselor are a doctor who can do something for you my motivating and counselling the legal way is always the last option available in marriage because it is going to disturb your life and family together try to be other issues you have sort out amicably

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6852 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

From what i see your problem is the threats and putting you down for one or the other reason.

The best is address a letter to your wife putting all the facts down including the details of the way she behaves with you as well as time and again threatening to commit suicide, even though she is living under the same roof and also send a copy to her parents and all through registered AD having proof you sent a letter. (You can also address to local police station as well)

A written communication will have effect on her parents as well as in case if your wife tends to commit any act, this letter will be proof of her conduct.

Grishma Lad
Advocate, Mumbai
18 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Hello ,

I would like to suggest you to visit a family counsellor with your wife.

If you want to take legal steps ypu can file a divorce suit on grpunds of cruelty.

Hope this helps.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2963 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Nicely take her to her parents place on some function time and leave her there permanently. Get issue a legal notice stating about the attitude of your wife. Then file a divorce petition. Otherwise you will be under risk. No one can understand mentality of women. Just come out of danger zone

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6135 Answers
481 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Report her suicidal tendcies to the Police.

Try to record (audio, video what ever is feasible for you) her statement(s) wherein she threatens you with a suicide.

Share the above evidences with the Police.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9582 Answers
302 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Collect evidence of her giving such suicide threats by audio/video recording her conversations.

2. Thereafter meet your doctor and collect prescription from him mentioning thge reason for your depression being 'tension for future consequence on receipt of wife's suicide threats'.

3. Your next step will be to lodge a police complaint against your wife for giving you the said suicide threats to take revenge on you for simple domestic weal and tear.

4. Since the consequence of her eventual suicide with or without leaving a suicide note blaming you for her committing suicide will be very fatal on you, you are required to take precautionary measures as advised above.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27107 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please, firslty the thing is that no need to be any more with this kind of a women.

Secondly, go and take care of your parents, and may life has something better for you.

You can also file divorce case on the ground of mental cruelty.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If possible you can take her to a marriage counselor and get her counselled on the issues that she may be having inside her mind

If that is not possible, then you may write a letter to her parents about her attitude and suicidal tendency and can inform them that you cannot be held responsible if she really commits suicide.

By endorsing a copy to the local police as well as the police station within her father's residential jurisdiction, you may retain a copy of the complaint as an evidence for future mishaps, if any.

If there is no change in her behavior or attitude, you may think of lodging a criminal complaint against her for the threats she poses and also to file a divorce case on the grounds of mental cruelty.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84409 Answers
2131 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ghar Chod aao and complain kar do about suicide threats from her.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
22552 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can file a Complaint to police that she is threatening to suicide. They will lodge your Complaint and if anything happens after that you will not be responsible

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31572 Answers
168 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer