• Receiving mental torture from guy side for dowry

A guy who has proposed me 5 years back is still delaying the marriage by demanding a site from me I have been getting a mental torture from guy and his parents to pledge a personal loan and to lend money for land purchase. Until unless site is purchased he will not be marrying me itseems. After hearing this I had refused to marry him but still myself and my mom facing mental torture for the money and site. To let u know about myself I am the elder daughter for my father. About my family we are 3 myself mom and I have a younger sister whom I already did marriage by taking responsibility as my father has expired 5 years ago. I am the only source for my family and the one who is doing job to meet our basic requirements. Please help me how to face this situation and get rid of this mental torture.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers

File police complaint of dowry harassment under section 498A of IPC read with section 2,3 of dowry prohibition act against your fiancée

2) mention he is demanding money for purchase of land wants you to take personal loan

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87911 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. This is a clear case of dowry demand for which you can lodge complaint under Dowry Prohibition Act ob which basis police can arrest them after registration of FIR.

2. If you had physical relationship with this person then due to his refusal of marriage you can file case of cheating and rape.

3. In such cases getting bail is really difficult. Don't spare this man at any cost.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Concerned,

Firstly - Personally Appreciate what you have been doing for your family. Hats Off.

Now - JUST KICK this guy - YOU are self independent and educated enough to support your family and yourself - BE PROUD of yourself and imagine the thought a person who has this behavior before marriage what extent he can go IF you marry him.....IGNORANCE is the key - JUST forget this ............. and stay happy - you will surely get a best match for yourself ...... HE IS NOT THE one who should be blessed to have a person like you in his life - He doesn't deserve you .

You might be suggested to file complaints etc - BUT just think over - DONT get into all this lead a peaceful life without thoughts of this guy.

Best of Luck - Stay Blessed.

Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1282 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since you are not married, there is no legal remedy as such. However, since you have sought advice, I will only suggest you to not marry the person as he will always bother you with other things. Since you also have the responsibility of your family, it is best to ensure that you are healthy mentally. Choose a life partner who will support you in your cause.

V Ranjan
Advocate, Delhi
62 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Madam,

If you marry your mother comes to street. Find out such a guy who agree to allow your mother to reside in your house. Forget about this guy. Your life will be spoiled in the hands of greedy persons. No issue, just forget the past and find a new guy. You are earning woman anybody can marry you. For more suggestions come to my office.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. Collect evidence of his and his parents demand for money/support for loan etc. in the form of dowry as a condition for the marriage with you.

2. Thereafter file a police complaint alleging dowry demand for which FIR will be registered against him under Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961.

3. If police refuses to register FIR, then file a Writ Petition against police inaction praying for a direction upon the police to register FIR, investigate and act as per law based on your said complaint.

4. Finally, also lodge a police complaint against that person and his family members for harassing you for your refusing to marry him by paying dowry to him as demanded by him and his family members.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, if he has borrowed money and has now refused for marriage, you can register a FIR under 420 for cheating against the person..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Firstly I should not say this but getting rid person like this is best option, he is most less deserving person for a great responsible women like you who is incharge of her family.

Secondly asking dowry before and after marrriage is offence.Asking of dowry is a crime even before the marriage and Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 will be applicable on these cases also.

Supreme court has clearly interpreted the word dowry, and stated any demand in lieu of marriage is punishable no defence available that it's before marriage to accused.

So you can gather evidence regarding same.and file criminal.complaint under section 3 and 4 Dowry Prohibition Act.

And 406 ipc


Also claim your ceremonial expenses from them.if any in last five years.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, you have done very right by denying marriage to such a guy.

Secondly, please give a written complain about the same in the police, and ask them to not to torture you anymore.

Thirdly, if police does not do anything then please file 156(3) of CrPC before the trial court and get the FIR registered.

You can also consult me for further assistance.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5464 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please take note of following -

1. Write a formal complaint in against the guy and his family that they are torturing you and your family members to gain money so that they can buy out the property for themselves. Write everything in detail as to how this entire episode started and all the turbulent situation you had faced due to this marriage proposal and so on.Your complaint in against guy and his family will come under section 506 of IPC. Also as a precautionary measure start recording every call and meetings which are having with the guy and his family so that you can prove yourself to be right and honest.

2. After getting this complaint lodged before the local police station of your area hire an advocate and ask him to file a case under section 39 of the CrPC, 1973 in against the guy and his family. A complaint filed u/s 39 is an informatory application stating that you have an apprehension that something wrong may happen to you and your family at the hand of people mentioned in the complaint.

If these two steps falls less then you can also get a formal publication done in local newspapers of Kannada, Hindi and English stating that you have got nothing to do with the guy and his family and no person shall entertain any transaction be it of business or otherwise on your name with these guys. Besides this you can also seek police protection if you have threat to your life or you feel that you may be harmed because of your steps taken under law.

Pulkit Prakash
Advocate, Delhi
309 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have made your mind what is the problem? Just move on and decide the way you want to live and send your massage crystal clear that you are not going to marry him and as an adult you are free to choose your life partner without any compulsion.

Still any huressment then go to police and complain against the duo's

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If you do not want to go ahead with the proposal that boy has made for marriage, you may discard all the relationship with him immediately.

There is no necessity for you to oblige him and meet his demands.

If he or his family members torture for money and site, you may lodge police complaint stating that the demand dowry in this form and they threaten to harm you if you dont meet their requirement.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78070 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You are suggested to send the written complaint to the police authorities regarding this and mention all the facts in that complaint.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

File complain without delay to prohibit them to contact u in any manner.

Opposite party is taking u for grated and advantage. greedy mind never satisfies, demands will increase and u left with no source.

Start fresh life. Complain to police. if they don't hold calls.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer