• Old car sale purchase from ncr

I want to buy a 1987 model petrol car registered in Delhi, its RC validity is over in 2015.
With the new NGT ruling, I am facing excessive difficulty and no clear options are coming up.
What are the options left for Petrol car older than 15 years (Or 10 year old diesel car) whose RC validity is expired?
Some people said, ONLY option is to scrap it, which most car lovers will not do to their well maintained car.
The owner says, he will sell to me if I can legally purchase it, he wants his name to be removed from RC. 
Can I pay green tax since expiry and get NOC for elsewhere?
What are the legal options of a car owner whose car is Petrol/Diesel car is 15/10 years older and RC validity is either a) valid b) over?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Hi, you can purchase a car and then can get the registration done of some other area .. You will have to pay the registration tax..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

registration can be after the vehicle passes fitness test. Once renewed the registration is valid for the next 5 years

2) buyer can only get the vehicle transferred to his name after the car passes Fitness Certification and its registration renewed.

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

No option, Even Supreme court has upheld the order of NGT, if you take such car on road, Police will seize it.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ban on 10 Year Old Diesel, 15 Year Old Petrol Cars

To Counter against Increasing Pollution, NGT - National Green Tribunal has suggested set of Measures

A) » Complete Ban on Plying Petrol Cars Manufactured more than 15 Years Old in Delhi / NCR

B) » Ban on Plying Diesel Vehicles Manufactured 10 Years Ago in Delhi / NCR

C) » No Extension of Fitness Certificate of 15 Year Old Cars - Petrol or CNG or Diesel

D) » Cancellation of Registration / De-Registration of 15 year Old Diesel Cars

Supreme Court has also ordered

A) » Additional 1% Green Cess on High Capacity Diesel Cars with Engine > 2000 cc

Even State - Delhi State Government has also imposed that

A) » CNG can not be fitted in BS-1, BS-2 Cars due to Counterfeit Kits been sold and stringent in measures that Certified CNG Kits with proper approval should only be endorsed in RTO

Basis NGT Recommendation and Supreme Court Oder - if any of these 10 Year Old Diesel vehicles or 15 Year Old Vehicles (irrespective of Fuel) are found plying on roads / Parked in Public Places or Entering in New Delhi - Traffic Police will have the right to Seize the Vehicle and also simultaneously fine the Owner.

Its also to be noted that - the Time Frame is irrespective of Vehicle capacity. So - whether its 1.3 Litre Diesel Engine or 2.5 Litre Diesel Engine - all cars will be de-registered and the re-sale value will be completely eroded after de-registration of such cars.

With the information given above, you may better keep off the idea of buying this old car.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You are suggested to approach the RTO authorities for the registration.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

As per the national green tribunal order it is restricted for any vehicles more than 15 years old in Delhi for reasons of air pollution. The said order is uphold by Supreme court. It is advisable not to purchase the said car

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27273 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Renewal of Registration or Re-Registration of Vehicle

As per the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, all private vehicles are to re-register the vehicle after 15 years for every 5 years, for as long as it is considered road worthy by the department.


a) Form 25: Duly filled up

b) Registration Certificate in original

c) Pollution Certificate

d) Valid Insurance Certificate

e) Vehicle is then to be produced before the registering authority for inspection.

f) Re-registration Fee is to be paid at the cash counter and receipt for the same will be given.

g) New Registration Certificate will be issued by the department.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer