• Girlfriend forcing to marriage

I was in relationship with a girl but I didn’t promised her for marriage. We had physical relations too. I tried hard to getout from the relationship but she continuesly blackmailed and anyhow continued talks with me. She collected some false proofs like chats and all. I informed her that my marriage is fixed and requested her to free me. She created a chaois messaged the family I was getting married to. She finally put the condition in front of her father and my uncle that if I break the marriage she will leave me and will stop contacting me that conversation was also recorded. But after the marriage is broken, she is again threatening to marry her. What are the possibilities so that I can get rid of because she is continuously torturing my family and me. She made my life hell now. Can I go to police station regarding the same. Can I make any legal settlement with her family so that she should not disturb me in future.
Asked 6 years ago in Civil Law

4 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers


I would advise you to approach the police.

You have not committed any crime and no one has the right to harass/ blackmail you.

immediately lodge a complaint at the police station.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
18077 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

She cannot continue to hound you with her nuisance.

If the harassment has crossed the tolerable limits, move a Complaint before the Police and request them to lodge a FIR against this girl and book her immediately.

Just a matter of last resort, you can also send her a legal notice before going to the Police.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9600 Answers
303 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is better to be quite for some time and wait for her move.As you had the physical relation she may go legal against you and will create problem. Just not confirm that you were physical with her.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6852 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes, do inform the police about the threats or blackmailing by your girlfriend. The conduct done by your girlfriend falls within the definition of criminal intimidation and extortion.

However do note that in spite of your complaint if your girlfriend lodges false complaint of sex on promise of marriage FIR under section 417,376 IPC can be registered against you.

In such cases if you are arrested before you manage to obtain anticipatory bail getting bail may be difficult.

Hence its advisable that you resolve the dispute amicably.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22810 Answers
487 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should file an information cum complaint with local.juridiction police so that that she doesnot harnesses you in future if she does you will file an FIR against her, you should talk and settle matter with her and make it clear that you.never promised marriage to her.

Also you can send her a legal.notice stating same.facts.

You should not let her illogical wishes ruin your life nobody can bound you or.force you.to marry against your will.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You had Consensual sex without promise of marriage

2) no case of rape is made out

3) don’t bow down to blackmail tactics

4) apply for AB in case false rape case is filed against you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94651 Answers
7522 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You can complaint against her in police station under section 33o if IPC.

The section as below:

Section 330 in The Indian Penal Code

330. Voluntarily causing hurt to extort confession, or to compel restoration of property.—Whoever voluntarily causes hurt for the purpose of extorting from the sufferer or from any person interested in the sufferer, any confession or any information which may lead to the detection of an offence or misconduct, or for the purpose of constraining the sufferer or any person inter­ested in the sufferer to restore or to cause the restoration of any property or valuable security or to satisfy any claim or demand, or to give information which may lead to the restoration of any property or valuable security, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.


(a) A, a police-officer, tortures Z in order to induce Z to confess that he committed a crime. A is guilty of an offence under this section.

(b) A, a police-officer, tortures B to induce him to point out where certain stolen property is deposited. A is guilty of an offence under this section.

(c) A, a revenue officer, tortures Z in order to compel him to pay certain arrears of revenue due from Z. A is guilty of an offence under this section.

(d) A, a zamindar, tortures a raiyat in order to compel him to pay his rent. A is guilty of an offence under this section. CLASSIFICATION OF OFFENCE Punishment—Imprisonment for 7 years and fine—Cognizable—Bail­able—Triable by Magistrate of the first class—Non-compoundable.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12915 Answers
253 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Respected sir...

You had already closed all your paths by physically intimate with her ..Sir as above said by you that she had proof of your chat ...Sir you can not tackle this situation legally you just have option to handle her socily rather then legally the best and better wY for you to convince her by way of any relative or any of her friend ...You do t even have option to file complaint ..What if she filed a case of rape just be cool and tackle this situation with presence of your mind ...Only socially..

Thank you

Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1263 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Hello sir , the best suitable way out is to inform her family members and make her give a affidavit in writing that she will not initiate any false charges against you .. Going to police is risky as they may favour girl , and can Inturn implicate you in criminal charges

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4630 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can approach police for her threats and blackmailing, but the danger is that you may have to reveal the details of your relationship with her which is the root cause of all nuisances from her side.

In retaliation she may file a cheating case agaisnt you for having sex with her on the promise of marriage and now refusing to marry her.

This backfire may become another problem to you.

You can issue a legal notice to her to stop issuing such threats or blackmails, however you should maintain that you do not reveal the relationship with her but maintain that she was known to you through friends.

Consult a lawyer in the local and proceed as per his suggestions.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84851 Answers
2185 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The legal remedy to your problem is to first send a legal notice, in which you can state the whole circumstance and mention to stop the harassment if the girl continues to harass you can also file a case against her regarding the same. Also having a physical relationship with a girl (age -18 years or above) with her consent is not rape.

If you want to make a settlement them put the terms of the settlement in a valid contract.

Contact for more information

Raj Deepak Chaudhary
Advocate, Lucknow
12 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer