• Change in DOB in passport

I have a passport issued when i was a minor with dob 29/04/1993 and i have not travelled on it yet.Then i did my secondary school in 2010 where my dob entered is 29/04/1994 and same is with my senior secondary school and my higher education.My passport has expired in 2011 and now while renewl im not able to change my dob on passport to 29/04/1994 due variation in dob in educational documents and the old passport and as i cannot travel on my old passport for my higher training abroad due educational docs having dob 29/04/1994,kindly help me with this issue as my career is on stake.
Asked 6 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

You will have to change the DOB in passport as well.

To change the date on passport you will have to complete the formalities as prescribed by the passport authority.

Generally such formalities are not so hard and an affidavit done from the first class magistrate can take care of the situation.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22532 Answers
466 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

do you have your birth certificate reflecting date of birth as 29/41994

2) if so on basis of birth certificate you can apply to passport authorities for issue of passport with correct date of birth

3)As per the revised guidelines, passport issuing authorities (PIAs) have been authorised to consider request of each applicant seeking change in date of birth irrespective of the period that would have lapsed after the issue of the passport.

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
93548 Answers
7262 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Which DOB is correct? The one mentioned on school certificates or passport?

2. If the DOB mentioned on school certificates is wrong then apply to the concerned education board with a copy of the birth certificate to rectify the error. Most likely the board will not rectify it, so you will have to file a writ petition in the High Court.

3. After the DOB is corrected on the school certificate you can then apply for it to be corrected on the passport.

4. Consult a lawyer immediately.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to get an affidavit executed before a First Class Judicial Magistrate affirming that inadvertently your father had put wrong DOB in the application for availing passport for you when you was a child which differs from all your educational certificates for which the said DOB mentioned in your passport is required to be changed by giving a direction to the passport authority.

2. After the said affidavit is affirmed before the said Magistrate, send a copy of the same along with the application for renewal of your passport which will be acted upon by the passport authority.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27076 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firstly, give an advertisement in the local newspaper disclosing everything in short from starting till end.

Secondly, draft one affidavit stating the same and get it attested.

Thirdly and Lastly, give that copy of the affidavit along with the paper cutting while applying or renewing of the same.

If they still say no, then take them to the Haryana High Court by filing a Writ of Mandamus to give you the new Passport or ask them to give you the copy of their resolution or guideline and then apply by it.

Good Luck...!

Can contact for further assistance on phone...!

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Apply for change of birth year first and then get fresh passport

P V Reddy
Advocate, Hyderabad
422 Answers
3 Consultations

4.2 on 5.0

1. You have to file suit for declaring your correct date of birth as [deleted] and make passport authorities as defendants.

2. Normally the passport authorities do not contest the case.

3. The suit will be decreed on the basis of your certificate and a direction will be given to passport authority is change your date of birth as [deleted].

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6133 Answers
474 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Respected sir...

changes in date of birth in existing passports will become hassle-free with government further simplifying services relating to issuance of the travel document.

Making the changes in existing rule, the government has also allowed digitally signed marriage and birth certificates as valid proofs of marriage and birth respectively.

As per the revised guidelines, passport issuing authorities (PIAs) have been authorised to consider request of each applicant seeking change in date of birth irrespective of the period that would have lapsed after the issue of the passport.

According to earlier guidelines, request for change of DOB was allowed within five years of issuance of the passport and the entire process was lengthy and cumbersome as it involved lot of paper work.

If the PIA is satisfied with the claim based on documents submitted by the applicant, then passports with revised DOB can be issued by the authorities concerned.

"Based on genuineness of the cases, the passport issuing authorities can issue fresh passports," Chief Passport Officer Arun K Chatterjee told PTI.

The Ministry of External Affairs, which issues passports, has already sent instructions to the passport issuing authorities to accept digitally signed marriage certificates and birth certificates as valid proofs of marriage and birth respectively.

The ministry is also exploring the possibility of making amendments in the Passport Rules, 1980, in order to further simplify the documentation process necessary for issuing passports in a timely, transparent, more accessible, reliable manner and through streamlined processes.

MEA officials said the process of issuance of passports has been made foolproof and under the new system there was no scope for anti-national elements to obtain passport.

As per guidelines, the first time passport applicants who furnish Aadhaar Card, Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC), PAN card and an affidavit of non-criminality in the prescribed format, get faster passport services.

The MEA had processed around 12 million passport applications last year.....

You can change your name as you are Minor at that time ...


Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1260 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If the applicant was a minor when his/her first passport was issued, he/she can correct the date of birth, any time when he/she is a minor, or when he/she first time applies for reissue of passport after becoming a major.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
83745 Answers
2062 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Please tell me that what is your DOB in the birth certificate?


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
18064 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer