• Divorce

I have been married for 1 year, but me & my husband are not in good terms & we are planning to get divorced, we have not registered our marriage legally, so i would like to know if we can get divorced?
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from chennai, Tamil Nadu
Yes you can get a divorce even if the marriage was not registered, provided you are able to produce sufficient evidence by way of marriage photos, invitation cards etc.
Prabhat Shroff

Of course you can get divorce. Absence of registration does not emasculate in any manner the rights of spouses to dissolve the marriage. As already informed by my ld.colleague above you will have to prove that the marriage was solemnised by producing the marriage ceremony photos, etc.

In India, there exists various personal laws for different communities. However, in this case, it would have be helpful if you could have mentioned the community that you belong to, as based on it, the advice provided for seeking divorce would have been much clearer and better.
Feroz A. Shaikh