• Car sold

I recently sold my used car to a person. He gave me a " Delivery Receipt " and said that we will get a photocopy of new RC in 15-20 days. Which will act as a proof that the vehicle ownership has been transferred. Now it has been over a month , and he has stopped taking my calls.
We have a photocopy of his ID Proof and all the documents of car. What sort of legal action can we take to ensure that the ownership is transferred.
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Delhi, Delhi
As per law the seller/current owner is bound to inform the concerned RTO of the sale of the vehicle. Kindly inform the same to the RTO.

Also do make sure that the insurance is still valid and renewed, as per law you are still liable as a owner.

Also issue him a notice to transfer the car or else return the car and demand a refund with interest.
Setu Niket
i presume you took payment by cheque . you can write to RTO informing them of sale of your car enclosing copy of delivery receipt received from purchaser .
you can do all these,but what if in between your car is used in any criminal activity,since you are still registered as its law full owner,kindly inform this in writing to a police station of your area along with the relevant documents and give a public notice of this also asap,as you never know when you get in trouble
1. At first issue to him a legal notice through your lawyer demanding that he transfer the car to his name, or return the same to you. This assumes a lot of significance in view of the fact that you will be held liable if the car is used in the commission of any illegal act. 

2. Also send a lawyer's notice to the RTO informing him of the sale of the car by you as every sale is to be informed by the seller to the RTO.
we do hope that based on our advice you have informed rto of sale of your car
we do hope based on our advice you have informed rto of sale of your car