1. Since you want to start a sole proprietorship firm, you need not get registered under firm and societies registration. Registration under shop and commercial Establishment Act is enough.
2. Also required is a bank Account in the name of your Sole Proprietorship business.To start a sole proprietorship, all you need is a bank account. Go to a bank, open a bank account in the name of the firm.
3. You will require a PAN Card of the Sole Proprietor.
4. Service tax registration for businesses providing services is mandatory for companies in India who's turnover has crossed Rs. 9 lacs.
5. Company providing goods will have to register for Value Added Tax or VAT (within same state) and/or Central Sales Tax or CST (between states) once their turnover has crossed Rs. 5 lacs, as it becomes mandatory then.
6. Other Registrations such as Importer Exporter Code (IEC), Professional Tax, Shop and Establishment License, etc. must be obtained, if applicable.
7. In case, you employ more then 10 persons, you have get register your under Factories Act and also have to obtain code nos fro EPF and ESI departments.