• Permanent address declaration for passport

I have applied for my minor kids passport renewal in Gaziabaad PSK. I am staying in a rented accomodation in Noida. My passport has the address of this rented house only. Declared my current address as permanent address as my parents in law who stay in Allahabad are out of India for a year and I feared if the police inquiry happened than the house will be locked and the other house which I own in Bangalore was in the process of selling.

In police inquiry they failed my case saying that my current rented address can not be my permanent address. (Although the same address was cleared while issuing my passport but now for kids passport they are raising questions) they asked me to get NOC from landlord which landlord refused to give.I went back to PSK to request to cancel my passport application which they refused to close my application and gave me another alternative of showing any other/far relative address as my permanent address. This time I decided to show my Bangalore house address which I own, and which is not sold yet and is occupied by my tenant.
Now there is police inquiry initiated for my permanent address ( bangalore house on rent )...I want to know what will be verified in the inquiry ....i am owner of the house but not staying there...will that impact my claim of showing that house as my permanent house? Can you show your property given on rent as your permanent address?
Asked 7 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

1) the Bangalore flat is owned by you and would be your permanent address

2)rely upon sale deed by which you purchased the flat to show the bangalore address as your permanent address

3) even if house is given on rent it does not cease to be your permanent address

4) your temporary address is wherein you are presently staying for job purposes

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95208 Answers
7610 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A. I would like to draw your attention to fact that you can directly approach the police station before they come to your permanent house which is situated at Bangalore. And the police will demand for residential proof documents along with photo identity proof such as Aadhar Card, Voter ID. Sometimes, many peoples will offer bribe to resolve these type of issue to police indirectly.

B. In addition to the above, you should be informed to the tenant in advance regarding the police verification and instruct that Mrs. zzz went out for shopping and will come back very shortly like that if the police inquired about you in the absence of aforesaid tips as depicted in "A" suggestions.

C. Issuance of Passport is very easy if your husband had got passport from the authority. Moreover, the police verified your husband address proof and you can submit the required id and address proof (voter ID, Aadhar Card, Pan card for address and identity proof etc.,)

B.T. Ravi
Advocate, Bangalore
943 Answers
96 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is a common practice of cops in India, who are largely illiterates, to give a negative report when the rented accommodation has been shown as the permanent address. You should challenge the negative report in the High Court through a writ petition.

2. If you are not residing in Bengaluru then you should not have applied for passport with your Bengaluru address. Please note that to furnish wrong information in passport application form is an offence which carries a punishment for up to 2 years on a successful prosecution.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot show your rented address as permanent address. The rental agreement can be used for current residential proof.

Alternately you can show the Bangalore address as permanent address

You can give an affidavit to this effect if needed

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85409 Answers
2237 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer