• Undecided ancestral property sell off

Our ansestor property (grandfather) has not been devided.My father was three brothers.they have two sons each.Now one of my cousin has started selling land on his own without taking us into confidence.plese advice is it legally? correct to sell the land on his own.what is the way out.
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

On grandfather demise your father and his siblings have equal share in property

2) your uncle and his children can sell their one third undivided share in property without consent of other legal heirs

3) under section 44 of transfer of property act co owner can sell his share without consent of other co owners

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.It often happens when joint properties are not distributed or not taken care of.Selling one's share even before partition is not itself illegal.

2.Anyway the preferable way to resolve the dispute is to sit together and divide the properties amicably and then execute and register a deed of partition.

3. If this doesn't happen then go for suit for partition wherein you can seek injunction so no one can sell proeprty even if his sahre till the court gives final decision.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

To stop your cousin from selling the land you can file a suit for permanent injunction and seek temporary injunction against him. On the demise of your grandfather his property devolved through succession on all his children equally.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your father has to file a suit for Partition and Separate Possession in respect of said land against all the legal heirs of your grandfather seeking your share in ancestral property and also have file a petition seeking ad interim injunction not to alienate to third parties or not to create third party internist in respect of said property till disposal of main suit.

Lakshmi Kanth
Advocate, Hyderabad
446 Answers
15 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

If your father is alive then he can file a suit for partition seeking separate possession of his share in the property and also an injunction to restrain the defendants from selling the property anymore.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer