• Getting back together after divorce

I have been divorced for 2 years. But we want to get back together now. What is the legal procedure?Also we had paid 12 lacs to the lady. is she liable to give back the money when we get back together?
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1)you cna remarry your ex wife under provisions of Hindu Marriage act

2) your ex wife is not liable to refund Rs 12 lakhs paid to her as alimony

3) before you marry her again better clear all these issues then only marry her

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95208 Answers
7610 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are free to remarry or even live together without marriage. Decree of divorce does not stop you from remarrying. The lady is not liable to repay the alimony paid to her.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You are already divorced and are now two separate unrelated individuals.

2. If you want to re-establish the same relationship, you shall have to marry again as per law.

3. She is not liable to return you the said Rs.12 lakhs you had paid her while securing divorce from her earlier.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

if the divorce has been granted by the Court then you have to remarry again as fresh marriage.

legally she is not liable to give back the money to you.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

There is no such agreement between you and her at the time of divorce that she will return the amount she has taken during divorce in case you both rejoin at a later stage, do you have any such agreement written and signed by both?

However there is no restriction in you both rejoining either as husband and wife by a remarriage or even to maintain the relationship as live in relationship without marrying each other again.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85409 Answers
2237 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer