• Family problem

I am working in an organization. i  have a relation ship with one girl in the same. i want marry the girl . i told to my parents about the girl. my parents rejected and said dont marry the girl.... and they take signatures from  me in 5 empty papers and 5 pro misery notes and 5 blank cheques .now they are telling dont marry the girl. if u marry the girl we will put the case on me and the girl .3 lakhs gold and some money has missing in our house.. they are black mailing me... so pls help me give a me a suggestion plzzz
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
Signing a blank paper is digging your own grave. If your parents can stoop that low then they may file a false case against you for cheating, cheque bounce, etc. If you want to marry that girl then go ahead and marry her. You may move the High Court to seek protection from any kind of harassment at the hands of your parents. As and when they file such a case against you it can be blown to smithereens by your lawyer.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23426 Answers
652 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Since you and the girl you intend to marry are both adults, they can't stop you from doing so. However, the signatures, blank cheques can be used against you. In order to protect yourself, give a report to the local police station about the entire situation. Write down the details of the cheques and the papers you had signed. This might get you some sort of protection.

This apart, try and speak with your parents, reason with them that just by signing a few documents you can't be deterred. However if this does not work, you may also seek protection from the court.

Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
33 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

once you ahve sugned blank cheques you are authorising drawee to fill in details . in event that said cheques are dishonoured criminal complaint of cheque bouncing can be filed against you . in such a case you have to fight case on merits that details as to amount and name have been filled in . material alteration has been made in cheque without your consent . 

as far as your desire to marry girl is concerned please note that your parents are your well wishers . the fact that they made you sign blank cheque shows their desperation to stop the marriage which they feel is not in your interest . in such a case have long courtship period . try to get to know the girl better . if still you want to marry her go ahead . face the music . it is extremely doubtful that parents would want their son to languish in jail or face trial for no fault of his . they are just trying to scare you out of your wits so that you drop the proposal
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
47925 Answers
2846 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

From above advises you can conclude that your parents are your well-wishers but don't misuse this emotion,rethink the complete proposal with reasons of your parents and yourself and of that girl giving due waitage to every factor in matured fashion and than decide.
Anil Gupta
Advocate, New Delhi
180 Answers
41 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer