• Harassment from ICICI bank recovery agent

My father had taken personal loan of about 200,000 from icici banks in year 2004-05. He was able to pay some EMI's and rest RS 66000 could not pay due to family issues he is a govt employee. Now some recovery agent number of times call my father and harassment but still bank not called my father,what to do now please help me.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1) claim of bank is barred by limitation as no payments made during last 3 years

2) refuse to pay the bank

3) record the calls of recovery agent

4) lodge police complaint of criminal intimidation under section 506 of IPC against the caller if they threaten your father

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File a complaint against that Numbers before police. the police may file a criminal case against them U/s 504/506 of IPC and they shall be prosecuted for their wrong.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. File a police complaint under section 506 IPC against the agents and also bank manager.

2. To recover its amount the maximum which the bank can do is to file a civil suit for recovery of money against the debtor, but muscle flexing is impermissible.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Since your father had taken loan he is bound to repay the money.

2.If he had defaulted the Bank can try to recover the money by coercing him to repay and sometimes they outsource this job to recovery agent.

3.So the Recovery agent by calling your father has not committed any crime and they can rightly do this.

4.however , if they threaten or abuse your father that is crime for which your father lodge complaint with the local police.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The bank has handed over the task of recovering the defaulted loan amount to agents on commission basis.

Hence the agents due to over enthusiasm go beyond the permitted level and indulge in such illegal activities in the name of recovery.

They can be warned by a legal notice or can lodge a complaint with the local police o curb the menace.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer