• Foreign divorce decree

My marriage was solemnised with the UK citizen in india in the year 2009. I had got the marriage registered here. However after 2 years of separation, my ex husband had filed for a divorce in the UK on the grounds"the marriage had irretrievably broken down, the facts found proved being the respondent(myself) unreasonable behaviour". I was sent the notice of the proceedings through emails by the Nottingham county court. It stated in it that the court had jurisdiction to hear the case under" Article 3(1) of the Council Regulation(EC) No 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003". I haven't participated in any of the proceedings as I didn't had the visa to visit the UK. However, I had accepted these grounds of divorce and had signed , scanned the papers and emailed back to them I had not engaged any lawyer in india to contest my case as I had no issues to accept the divorce myself. I had finally received an original copy of final decree from the Nottingham court stamped but not signed  with the divorce date august 2013. I haven't done anything to register this case or decree in indian court. Please advise.

Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
what u want. are u satisfied by this divorce.plz call
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

You should have appointed a lawyer in UK at least to keep you in the loop with what was happening in your case. If the copy of divorce decree does not bear the signature of the judge then it is not a certified copy. You may now request your ex husband to send you a certified copy of the judgment, or in the alternative engage a UK lawyer to procure for you a copy of the same.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23426 Answers
652 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

since you had been served with copy of summons and you had accepted the grounds of divorce and signed and accepted the divorce papers decree for divorce passed by UK court would be binding upon you .you can request your exhusband to furnish you certified copy of decree foer your record . your marriage stands dissolved and you are at liberty to remarry .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
47925 Answers
2846 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The marriage as per the facts stated by you stands dissolved since you without raising any objection accepted the summons and signed with acceptance the divorce decree granted by the UK court.
Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Panchkula
898 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer