• How to register marriage and get marriage certificate?

Dear All!
Myself belong to Allahabad, planning to Marry a girl from RUSSIA in ALLAHABAD as per family rituals and ceremonies.
Can somebody please help out how to register marriage in ALLAHABAD and where to register so that i can get MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE and further i can apply for extension of her VISA and after extension of VISA for INDIAN RESIDENT passport.

Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

2 Answers

1) the foreign marriage can be Registered under the Foreign Marriage Act,1969 in Russia (before the Indian High Commission and or before the Indian Consulate Generals Office as the case is)

2) In case a marriage between an Indian and a foreign national is to be registered in india , generally its required to file a notice of intended marriage with a Marriage Registrar in Allahabad . That notice is required to be published for the stipulated 30 days. At the end of the 30 days the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.

The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India, if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.

After the stipulated waiting period of 30 days the marriage can take place in India. Under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 a certificate showing the signatures of the persons married, the registrar and the witnesses will be issued. This Certificate is required as proof of the marriage and when applying for a visa to for a foreign country.

The following documents are required for both the partners:

a valid Passport

original Birth Certificate showing parents' names

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95208 Answers
7610 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You can marry her under Special Marriage Act (SMA). There’s a 30 day residency requirement, which means that either the bride or the groom has to be living in India for at least 30 days prior to applying to get married. For foreigners, this is evidenced by a certificate from the local police station or Copy of C Form or FRRO Registration copy accordingly.

2. You will be required to submit your intention to get married to the registrar's office along with the residence certificate (i.e. proof of residence), certified copies of passports and birth certificates, and two passport sized photographs and few affidavits each.

3. If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the application, a civil ceremony at the registrar's office can be conducted. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

4. All she has to do right now is to come with her original Certificates on a Tourist Visa and post registration of Marriage convert it into "X" Visa.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer