• Change of Parents name in Birth Certificate

Hi, my name in all the papers is Lal Sharan Kumar and Wife's name is Punam Kumar (in PAN Votor and Aadhar as it was made after marriage) in all the documents. As it is not possible for me to provide the documents for supporting to change the name in birth Certificate what should i do?

In Birth Certificate : Father' s name: Lal Sharan Singh Mother's Name : Poonam Singh
In all documents stated above : Father's Name : LAL SHARAN KUMAR Mother's Name : PUNAM KUMAR

Please advice.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1. The name after long years of birth can not be change so easily by making corrections in the birth certificate.

2. However there is no legal harm if you start using the new name and to avoid any complications you should use an affidavit.

3.in the affidivit you will have to mention about your both names and use of your new name.

4. The affidavit should be executed before the Magistrate and a paper publication is to be given.

5. Once that is done you can start using the new name.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
497 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) if father name is wrongly mentioned in birth certificate you have to apply to registrar of birth for correcting father name in birth certificate

2) enclose father aadhar card or pan card or election card which reflect his correct name

3) your father affidavit in support of application would be necessary

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95197 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Published the declaration in two leading newspapers and then file a civil suit before civil court for declaration.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Your query is ambiguous. If your parents name has been erroneously mentioned in your birth certificate then you have to apply to the Registrar of Births and Deaths with a copy of the documentary evidence to rectify the error. You may eventually have to file a suit for mandatory injunction to get the rectification carried out.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

At this stage it will not be possible for changing the name in the birth certificate.

If you want to continue with the present name as per the documents you can continue by making an affidavit stating both the names are one and the same and belongs to the same person.

If necessary you can even get it published in the government gazette and kep a copy to this effect along with other documents to prove the changes.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85398 Answers
2235 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer