• Name change for 2 yr old boy


We want to change the name of our website yr old child.

We were thinking of getting it done before getting his passport made and that he has a valid birth certificate from Gurgaon Authority.

I would like to ask if the process is same as that for a ny other case, or there are some relaxations available in this particular scenario in law.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

6 Answers

1) for change of name of child same procedure has to be followed of publication in official gazette and 2 local newspapers

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95203 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The Birth certificate is applied for change or correction can be done by the same issuing authority within the first 2-3 years.

if it is late then it is to be done through the court of Magistrate.

There is no special relaxation. The process s same for everyone.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear concerned,

If the name of the child is not mentioned in the Birth Certificate then you may fill the application for passport with any name.

In case the name is mentioned on the birth certificate then for the procedure of change of name need to be followed by publication in official gazette and local newspaper.

Best of luck.

Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1309 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to get your affidavit affirmed before the 1st class Judicial Magistrate of your area about your changing his name from what it is to what it will be duly mentioning the the said affidavit that the authority iissuing the birth certificate is required to change the name appropriately in thier records and issue a fresh birth certificate.

2. It should also be mentioned therein that both are same person and hence forth he should be known in his changed name.

3. The said affidavit is required to be published in two local newspapers, one being in vernacular.

4. based on the above you can apply for fresh birth certificate and also for passport in his new name.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You have to notify the change of name of your son in one of the daily leading newspapers, giving therein full identification that is his/her name, Father’s name along with residential address and date of birth of child & forward it in original to Registrar of Births and Deaths.

2. Submit an original affidavit duly attested by first class Magistrate/Notary/Oath Commissioner showing therein full details of father’s name along with residential address before taking oath in the affidavit & forward it in original to the Registrar of Births and Deaths. Then submit printing matter in the prescribed proforma completed in all respects by typing the same on a separate plain paper and signed by the individual in his/her old name, with two witnesses in duplicate. The Proforma must not be handwritten. If the case is sent by registered post, the photographs have to be attested by Gazetted officer/oath commissioner/notary public.The amount will have to be submitted or remitted in advance in cash or by Demand Draft/India Postal Order drawn in favour of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. The extra copies of the Gazette can be supplied to the extent of 4 on additional payment.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can register the birth of your child with the proposed name before the birth and deaths registrar within you jurisdiction if you have not registered it yet.

You can adopt the formalities in this regard which will be suggested to you once you approach the authorities for this purpose.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer