• Well settled daughter's rights on father's property

My grandfather died in year 2006 without a will.now my father's sister claim 1/4th of his property.there is some agricultural land and a house included.my aunt had a big house and accured a lot inheritance from her inlaws part. My father and his three brother staying in that house. My question is is she eligible for the claim?
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1) on grand father demise your grand mother , father and his 4 siblings would have equal share in the property

2) in case grand mother predeceased grand father then daughter (aunt) would have one fifth share in property

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95216 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your paternal daughter being one of the class I legal heirs to your paternal grandfather and is reported to have died intestate, she is legally entitled to 1/4th share out of his own properties as per Hindu Succession act, 1956.

The question is not about her economic status or background. The provisions of law of inheritance clearly entitles her for a legitimate share in her faher's properties. i

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Notwithstanding how much property your aunt inherited from her in-laws she succeeded equally to the property of her father on the latter's intestate demise. The share of a daughter is at par with that of son in the self acquired and separate property of her father.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. On the demise of your grand father without executing WILL, the property would devolve equally to all his legal heirs.

2. Assuming that your grand mother is also not alive, the property would devolve equally to your father and his brothers & sisters.

3. Assuming that your father and his 3 brothers have only one sister, then each of them are entitled to 1/5th share in the property.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
5183 Answers
317 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Since your GF died after 2005 your aunt has share in all his ancestral and self acquired proeprty if your GF has not left any Will.

2. The inheritance of your aunt from her in laws side has no consideration in this.

3. So in other words you can not deprive your aunt from claiming her share from her father's side and if she is refused to have get share she can file suit for partition in civil court to seek necessary relief.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer